Knock Sensor - DOHC VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsxracing

Can anyone tell me ... what is Knock sensor duty? If the knock sensor didn't plug in...what will happend? :blink:

Originally posted by nsxracing@Sep 13 2003, 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me ... what is Knock sensor duty? If the knock sensor didn't plug in...what will happend? :blink:

It listens for detonation and upon hearing it, the ECU retards timing accordingly.

If it's not plugged in and the ECU is looking for the sensor, you will get a MIL code.

vtec will not engage with a KS code, unless I'm mistaken. If you care about that high cam lobe you should address this. You can spoof the KS electronically with a resistor+cap or use a chip that removes the check for it in a code.

I can clear this up quite nicely. With the knock sensor code, VTEC will engage properly. However, you feel a huge power loss when the check engine light comes on. You don't get full advance on your timing. This means a huge performance loss from limp mode. I speak from experience, you can feel the light come on.

If I remove the EGR valve from the intake manifold... and the check engine line is ON too! Should I expect to loose power too?

I think(not sure) that any check engine light will cause you to give up power for safety. Your ECU doesn't wanna blow your engine. It doesn't care if you just swapped in the bad boy. It just thinks something is wrong.

Someone told me...istall a P28 Reprogram ecu will make the H22A runs much more faster! Because the P28 don't have knock sensor, so ... you don't see an engine check "on". And he said "KNOCK SENSOR ONLY HELP IF YOU DRIVE NORMAL AND YOU ENGINE IS KNOCKING" and "THE KNOCK SENSOR IT TO ADVANCE AND RETARD THE TIMMING ITSELF THAT WHY PROGRAM WITH KNOCK SENSOR DONT PERFORMANCE AS GOOD AS WITHOUT!"
:blink: What do you guys think?

I think either you are not relaying what you were told accurately or you were not told the whole story.

You CAN use a P28 to run a H22, but it must be chipped in order to use H22 maps not Z6 maps. P28s will not look for a knock sensor, so this is one thing you do not have to worry about. You can tune a P28-H22 program to run a stock motor faster than a stock ECU, or you can fuck it up and make it slower through poor tuning.

Stock honda knock sensors are all but useless. In stock form, they are useless for detecting all but the most severe knocking as a result of bad gasoline. The ECU will pull timing (hence the performance loss with a KS code) when it thinks there is knock occuring. The sensor itself is not the problem - the board inside the ECU that processes knock signals is junk. A J+S safeguard can use the stock knock sensor rather productively.

Hope that helps.

whats a knock off sensor? dont you mean knock sensor?

KNOCK SENSOR!!!I JUS T WANNA HOOK MY VTEC UP !!!!I HAVE A 88 CRX HF!!!I ALREADY PUT THE MOTOR IN IT STARTS UP RUNS TUFF BUT THE HEAD HAS VTEC IT'S NOT HOOKED UP !!!THE CAR I TOOK THE MOTOR OFF HAD IT HOOK UP STRAIGHT TO THE ECU!!!WANNA DO THAT !!!GOT THE DIAGRAM TO THE ECU BUT KNOW WHAT COLORS TO HOOK UP!!VTEC HAS BLUE AND GREEN (ONE WIRE)AND BLUE AND YELLOW(THE OTHER ONE)!!!WHICH IS WHICH AND WHERE DO THEY GO!!!:confused:

CESARSPINS: search the forums for wiring vtec..... read it.

then find where it goes in the ECU from the diagram.... and hook it in!

LMAO to this thread....

what the hell happened to honda-swap????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back