knock sensor help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
alright. since i got the car its had the knock sensor code on. Ive hooked up what i thought was the knock sensor ( back of the block above the oil filter). Ive fixed everything else and reset the ecu. What can be wrong? Bad knock sensor or is there something else that can make it throw that code? Also, is it robbing the car of power or hurting it at all?

Its code 23. i have a B16a/b18a1.(ls/vtec) i need advice here so anything is appreciated

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 26 2005, 10:11 AM
Sure the wire is hooked up to the ECU right?

- Could be a bad knock sensor
- Could be your engine is knocking all the time
[post=466479]Quoted post[/post]​

alright well, can i get the ks from auto parts store or what?
and whats this about my motor knocking all the time? I would be able to feel it right?

Regular motor knock would sound like gas ping or light valve tapping. Gas ping is predetonation, which is what the knock sensor is trying to prevent.

I've found the knock sensor to be a pain in the ass. Like you, I tried everything, and was still never able to totally remove the code. The only way to lose the knock sensor is to chip your ECU and disable the knock sensor.(or find a non knock sensor ECU)

well i took it to shop today to get new cams seals. The guy(mikey) said there was no knocking and he believes it's a bad knock sensor. Mikey also states they are a pain in the ass to find. Anybody knows where i can get one and how much they cost?

they come out of any ls motor right? if so i might get lucky. but man my junk yards here are really scrarce on hondas and other imports. I was told they are like 100 bucks. true or false?
I'll try to do call or something but man it's raining like hell here and it's really ugly. So i just might stay in all night.

Originally posted by DoinWork@Feb 27 2005, 05:19 PM
knock sensor only come on vtec engines...They pretty expensive too anywhere from 65 and up...
[post=466842]Quoted post[/post]​

well damn i'll be lucky to to find ANY vtec motors here... ohh well i'd better start searching! thanks for the helpful info. I've been driving it so far so would it harm it if i keep driving it?

hold up.

you have an ls/vtec.

ls blocks don't have a knock sensor at all.

wtf did you wire up?

your best bet-- is to get a p28 ecu, and get some uberdata on there to chip it.

im using a pw0 b16a ecu. I know the LS blocks dont have knock sensors and my mechanic told he can't see one(we were looking from the top of car) . But i read somewhere that you have to make KS when building the ls/vtec.
At first what i thought i was hooking up was either the fan switch or KS. When the KS cel came on again(after resetting the ecu). I figured i hooked the fan switch. Now it was obvious those two cut wires need to be hooked up so i did.
Also the KS pin on the ecu has a wire coming out and going somewhere to the engine. I origionally thought it was the KS. And that those 2 cut wire were to the KS. I'm taking it to the shop again since i didnt work to get it checked out.

PROBLEM SOLVED! Damn sensor wasn't hooked up. I cant believe i never saw it as many times as i've looked down there. well i hooked it up and know my idle went up to loke 1200 instead of 7-800. Thanks for the input guys and yeah i'm a dumb ass! :doh:

Back