1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knock sensor needed or not?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by clanny, Dec 24, 2004.

1. clanny

clanny Member

I currently have a b16b that I'm prepping for install into my '92 mk2 crx. I'm trying to get everything sorted so that I have no surprises. The thing that I'm looking at just now is the knock sensor. Having read up about it, it seems that there is a lot of trouble to be had with a problematic knock sensor. I know that it's a safety device and really I'd like to use it if possible. Thing is, I don't want all the agro of installing one to find it just throws codes all the time.

My car is going to be fairly high performance. I'll tune it on 97ron fuel and run it on 97 and 98, so there shouldn't be any trouble with det but if the system is there, wouldn't it be better to use it?

Is it worth the hassle of installation? Does it do the job it's supposed to do or is it just a chocolate chisel?

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

You don't have to have one, but you'll need to have it removed from the ECU so that it doesn't freak out and throw a CEL code for it.

3. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

You can disable the knock sensor by disabling that feature in the ECU program. Otherwise just make sure that you have your car tuned properly as you make your performance mods. You never want to run your engine on settings that are too lean and no need to run it way rich either. Don't guess on this stuff and go by how your car "feels" to you. I've been there but was just very lucky. :ph34r:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted