Knock sensor on D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Argentinakidd

hello everyone!
So i recently purchased a 96 coupe with a bad d16y8. The head is still good, which im still going to use. A buddy has a cheap z6 block he can give me. Of course z6 has no knock sensor, and the ecu is going to look for one. This car needs to pass state emissions. So my question is: what are ways i can add a knock sensor to the z6 block??? I was thinking of jb welding a nut to the block and putting the ks there?? Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Last edited:
No it will not work , sorry but going to have to find a obd2 longblock to work correctly, even if could tap another hole for the sensor unless in exact location and depth etc (not going to happen) the sensor will read alot more noise than needed and try and make adjustments

Last edited:
in the mitsu world, we would use an empty boss in the center of the motor and bolt the knock sensor to it...

No it will not work , sorry but going to have to find a obd2 longblock to work correctly, even if could tap another hole for the sensor unless in exact location and depth etc (not going to happen) the sensor will read alot more noise than needed and try and make adjustments
What about the spot on the back of the z6 block to drain the coolant?

If emissions aren't an issue, convert the car to obd1 with a p28 and jumper. If they do an obd2 plug scan, that obviously won't work.

but if they do a tail pipe sniffer, it would
If emissions aren't an issue, convert the car to obd1 with a p28 and jumper. If they do an obd2 plug scan, that obviously won't work.

but if they do a tail pipe sniffer, it would
Yes emissions is an issue. I live in a city that does emissions.

Well honestly cars survived fine without a knock sensor for a long time but it is helpful in its own right...

I mean like heres one local to me
Screenshot_20180515-170339_Facebook.jpg

Yeah i just ended up getting a whole new y8 with trans and linkage included for 300 and it only had 130k. Like i said, i needed it to pass emissions so i didnt really want to experiment and waste time and money for the CEL to still be on. Thank you everyone for your input!

Back