knock sensor on OBD1 block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

alright- long story short, the car in question is a 96 civic that was a friend of mine's who originally did the swap. Its a jdm B20B block with a GSR head. The problem is it HAS to stay OBD2 at least for now. I've already done the OBD2 oil pump/CKF sensor swap and in the process of adding the 2nd O2 sensor. The problem is, is there a spot for the knock sensor on the block anywhere? I havent had a chance to look yet, just hoping for some good news before I crawl under there...

knock sensor

you should hook-up the knock sensor or the VTEC function will not work. The engine's ECU looks for the knock sensor signal in order to activate VTEC. I know The B18A and B18B block has no spot for a knock sensor im assuming the B20 doesnt either. If you don't want to run a knock sensor, you can do several things. You can have a knock sensor not attached but grounded to the chassis hooked up to your ECU. D3.
Also what ecu are u running and is it looking for a Knock sensor

All gsr's have knock sensors and all gsr ecu's will look for the knock sensor. Your only choice is to do the wiring for the knock sensor to keep it obd2. Its located on the rear of the short block just beneath the intake manifold. My personal advice.... go obd1 and run a chipped p28. :)

oh yeah oops forgot to mention i'm running an OBD2 P72 on it at the moment, it seems to run the car fine other than the 2 remaining codes. Pretty sure knock should be D6 on this ecu(?)

I know the OBD2B (2000+) B20 blocks have the spot for the knock sensor, but those blocks are a different Honda part # than the older ones. I hope thats not the difference...

EDIT:
ok, found the spot for the knock sensor, it is there right where it should be under the #2 intake runner. Still have to track down a sensor tho.

but I can just ground the circuit for now and it will be fine?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

well i tried grounding the knock circuit and it didnt work, it was fine at first but then after a quick test drive the code was back. I'm in the process of trying to track down a knock sensor, anyone happen to hae one laying around?

I have a similar problem, my misfire codes are cured but I still get a code 23 after a short road test, basically just over 3k rpm it pops on. I have an rigged up LS/vtec swap in my gsr, it came that way and whoever did it did not tap the block. I'm an acura tech so I have knock sensors lying around, I found where they left it out and plugged it in with similar results. Should I ground the threaded portion of it to the block, should it matter? or do I just need to tap the block somehow(since its in the car already) for it to read properly. I looked in our advanced diagnostics and it was no help. I wish I knew what exactly it looked for?

ahh... oh yeah sorry for no updates recently, a buddy of mine hooked me up w a knock sensor & all is good to go. My block was already threaded, I thought all blocks were but i guess not...

i'm not sure what kind of signal they look for whether it's resistance or what, i'd just tap the block and thread a sensor in there- piece of cake & no more code 23

Back