1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knock Sensor Replacement

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by randerson165, Oct 27, 2003.

1. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

I need to replace my knock sensor and my question is, where is it located ? People tell me on the back of the block underneat the intake manifold. Can I access this without taking off my intake manifold ? Can I reach it from underneath the car ?

2. tab

tab Super Moderator

anything can be done. I myself would first get the manual, but having wired my own knock sensor, I know that you can see it pretty well from underneath the car, but not at all from above. Tough choice(sarcasm), but I would safely lift up the front end of your car, using jackstands. Then I'd go after it.

:roll: YUP.

3. randerson165

I have the helms manual for my car but it doesn't talk about (or I can't find it) removing/installing, it just talks about troubleshooting it. Thanks for the info !!!

4. randerson165

I've located the knock sensor underneath the IM but there is no way to get a socket or wrench on it without taking the IM off.

Does anybody have any suggestions ? Has anybody replaced their knock sensor with the IM on ? Do I have to take the IM off ? PLEASE HELP !!!

5. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

why not just take the manifold off? it is not that difficult

6. randerson165

I always have trouble when I have to take off the bolt that is underneath the manifold. Is there a special tool to use for that one stubborn bolt ? Also, can I reuse the IM gasket if I'm careful ??

7. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

for what motor?
    every time i've pulled off an intake manifold i've broken the gasket, it usually gets stuck on their by getting so damn hot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted