knock sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

toyarmy

i posted a few days ago about my check engine light coming on. well i took it and got it diagnosed. appearently my knock sensor never got hooked up.

i really hate that i didnt get to do my swap because i dont know what all i need to do. i know part of it is a pin in the ecu.

thanx.

i guess im asking more or less what i need to do to solve this problem, i have a good idea but i suck at wording things. thanx for everyones help.

thanx lsvtec, but i can handle the ecu part, im just currious where this goes to on my motor. will it run right to the wirring harness there as well or is there something else i can do.

and as i know where the ecu is, im not exactly sure where the wirring harness is < engine side >

thanx

Most likely, your factory wiring harness will not have a plug for the knock sensor. You will have to steal a plug from somewhere (not off of your current harness :) ) and run the wire yourself. The knock sensor is on the back of the engine (firewall side) below the intake manifold.

toyarmy,
I just got done swaping the harness from my old D15 to my new b16 and had to make sure to get the knock wire in there. the knock sensor is just a single wire and it plugs in right above the oil filter. I have my mechanic doing the pull out/bolt in part of the swap and I am doing the wiring because he didn't want to mess with JDM wiring... he didn't believe the harnesses would swap :rolleyes:

anyway, if you still have the left over harness from your swap you should be able to find a plug that will fit the knock sensor then you will just have to run a wire from the plug to the ecu. you wouldn't have to run it to the engine wiring harness, you might be better off just running the wire straight to the ecu because there would be less wire splicing involved and a better chance of avoiding corosion in the wires. unless you plan on swapping engines again soon or pulling yours out often to do work on it.

best of luck, if you can't find a plug for the knock sensor I could see if I have one that would work for it and I'd be happy to ship it to you. let me know

Sean

thanx sean, we got the plug, and its in, still throwing a code though.

is it true that the code puts you in safe mode hence restraining 20% of your power?

were gonna get it checked out tomorow. hope i can stop seeing that orange glow soon.

sorry to hear that it is still seeing the CEL, I bet if you took it to some little independant shop and sweet talked a mechanic (something girls can get away with way easier... ) they would check the code for free cause it only takes them about two minutes

not to be the ass that says "did you plug it in" but I would say to double check the ECU harness and make sure that the knock sensor wire in in the right spot caust it's pretty easy to F that up
also how did you connect the wire to the ECU harness? where you able to salvage a harness pin from somewhere else for the KS?

at any rate, good luck

I just found out today that I need new axles :angry:
it's ok though, as long as there aren't probs with the engine I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get it running good

my mechanic has just been a lazy ass about getting shit done

let me know if you don't get the CEL prob solved

yeah, the run your own wire for the knock sensor. Make sure that you get it in D3, when you pull the ECU down and the top of the plugs is up. It is the plug on the left side. CHECK THE CEL CODE YOURSELF!!! you will save time and money. The plug is right under the glove box. Above the ECU. it will have a greenish type cover on it. it has a two plugs going into it. pull the cover of and take a paper clip and jump the plug with 2 wires.(one side to other on the same plug) then just turn the key to the on position without starting it and watch to see how many times the check engine light blinks. If if holds longer on the first blink then it is a 10+ how ever many other blinks. YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT. Then just go on the site here and check to see what code it is. I don't know where on this site it is. But on hybridgarage.com it is under tech, ecu trouble codes.

Darin

alright, just so you know, i utilize my sweet & sexy voice as much as possible, jk.

i had taken it to a local shop to get the code first time around, wednesday night the guy hooked me up with the wires i needed, hooked em up thursday, still throwing a code. took it today, sure enough everythings plugged in properly, now were down to assuming the sensor itself is bad. since hmotors guarantees good sensors were gonna call back in a week and maybe hell hook us up with one, otherwise were gonna see about getting a chipped p28 from this kid since they supposedly dont look for the sensor.

any ideas on this, i had always heard that a remotely stock setup was much better with a stock ecu and im kinda weary of anything else.

I think I'd stick with the stock ECU, maybe look for an unchipped P28 if anything. I've never heard much good come of generic chips other than worse gas mileage.

I would call Hmotors right away and get them to send you a new sensor, if that doesn't fix it then I'd look for the new ECU because yes the P28 doesn't look for a knock sensor

good luck

yes, i know im reviving this post. im trying to run the code myself, before i go screwing with the sensor itself. there are 2 female plugs hanging down with green wire covers and blue harness. by the door. one plug has 2 holes, the other 3.

is this where i stick the paperclip? if so which holes?

i can take a picture if needed. thanx

short out the one with only two wires
that is what I understand

I printed off a list of instructions and they are in my car in case I throw a code again. it happened to me about a couple weeks ago but when I shut the car off and turned it back on the light was off so I couldn't check it

good luck

yes. i got it. thats what i did, the side with 2 holes. first time it throws 22, stops blinking, then a 23, does this mean im throwing both codes?

Back