knocking noise when applying brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have an 89 crx dx. when the car is rolling at 5mph or less and i apply the brake pedal, there is a rather loud knocking. it sounds like it is coming from the engine bay instead of the wheels. once my foot is past halfway down on the pedal, the sound disappears. its like something is loose maybe? the sound is only there when i am rolling in traffic below 5mph or so.

NOTE: i just had the rotors resurfaced earlier this week and the sound seems to have started right after. i am reluctant to bring it back to the place that did the work because they apparently dont go a good job. im talking about the new distributor they just installed on my car. two days later, the rotor screw fell out (!!!) and when i put it back in, i found that the new dist was missing the plastic igniter shield. i had to go back and ask them for it. :bash:

i dunno your the expert,but id say if it just started hearing the sound after you had your rotors resurfaced my guess is something
with the rotors my old teg did that but even at higher speeds
id say go to a different shop and have te checked out

went to this shop to get new distributor (sp)? and day after,
picked up car started it then it died popped the hood an the fu***
didnt even put the new distributor on!!!!! :axe:

did they put on new pads? Does it happen at any time without your foot on the brake pedal?

It might be a simple case of brake chatter.

Originally posted by doofnoil@Jun 27 2003, 12:08 PM
did they put on new pads? Does it happen at any time without your foot on the brake pedal?

It might be a simple case of brake chatter.

no, the pads were farily new already. i asked them to resurface the rotors cause there was alot of vibration when braking above 60mph. at least that problem is fixed.

the knocking noise only happens when i apply light brake pedal pressure at very slow speeds.

civichb, yea i am prolly just gonna take it to another shop..and hope its not the master cylinder.

Brake knocking noise at low speed in 2001 honda civic

I have the very same issue. Did you figure out what was the issue? I am taking my car to the garage but skeptic not know much about cars, the mechanic might take me for a ride (and use my own car!!)

i have an 89 crx dx. when the car is rolling at 5mph or less and i apply the brake pedal, there is a rather loud knocking. it sounds like it is coming from the engine bay instead of the wheels. once my foot is past halfway down on the pedal, the sound disappears. its like something is loose maybe? the sound is only there when i am rolling in traffic below 5mph or so.

NOTE: i just had the rotors resurfaced earlier this week and the sound seems to have started right after. i am reluctant to bring it back to the place that did the work because they apparently dont go a good job. im talking about the new distributor they just installed on my car. two days later, the rotor screw fell out (!!!) and when i put it back in, i found that the new dist was missing the plastic igniter shield. i had to go back and ask them for it. :bash:

Back