known driving facts.........

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok, i thought it would be interesting to start this thread and see the responces. Lets try and keep it factual and mostly based on Front wheel drive, front engine, cars, mainley hondas.

Ok lets talk about things you guys have found to be true about car/braking/suspenion reactions, wether it be an emergency situation or track stuation or for that mater a Street situation.

I have heard alot of people saying things like when you let off the gas in a turn when going (fast enough) might not be the best idea, some one elaborate on that. Lets try and keep it to things were sure are facts, not some one whos camber is way off on the left and wants to say all hondas pull to the left, that would be a problem/nitch with your car specificly.

I would like to see all the information you guys have as i know a few of you are AutoX/track whores.

Basicly heres and example of what fits this thread.

"I have noticed XXX/YaddaYadda happens when turning hard into a long sharp turn at aprox 50-65mph, i have also found a good way to prevent this is XXX/Yadda Yadda or slow down :p ."

:blink:

I have noticed that going down the off ramp from I469 to US 24 accelerating in 2nd gear from 40 to 60 makes my really shitty yk420s squeal like my friends mom in the sack.

I have yet to find a solution as I have no money to put new tires on.

A real tight rear end is great fun until you're on an on ramp going 80 and you let off the gas while merging into the lane. Rear end comes out and the SHITTY weight dist. doesn't help you drift it out smoothly. Other than that, I notice a lot of under steer coming out of my car. Good thing about it, its consistant and controlable. I got a lot better rotation on autoX when I loosened my front uper tie bar.

I'm sitting at the middle of the pack in SCCA SM class in AutoX...not that it means much.

edit: hope thats what you're kinda looking for.

There are SOOOO many veriable that control how a car handles, that It's going to be different for jsut about every car and driver out there.

:yes: I experienced letting off the gas on an uphill curve at about sixty and the rear-end came loose. The let go of all pedals trick doesn't work here. I counter-steered, but the car just whipped from extreme to extreme. I almost died falling off the side. th only thing that I could think of that saved me was Divine Intervention. Practice carefully guys.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Nov 6 2004, 09:47 PM
edit: hope thats what you're kinda looking for.
[post=413249]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly, Just food for thought, expecialy if other happen to notice the sames things people are posting. I was just bored and wanted to see what people have noticed about our cars characteristics.

Yeah see i was coming down hill doing about 70 or 80 and the momentum of the car got the better of me and i had to try and slow down, but it was a no go, i spun and put the ass of my teg up against the mountin, luckuly all the loose gravel at the base grabbed at my tires and wheels befor the body of the car actuly hit the mountin or anything. I got very lucky in more ways then one. And it all happens so fast your never really really sure of exactly what you did, but im thinking i did let off the gas when i was pushing it in a turn and it just kicked out in the back when leting off to slow down. And that was only cause i was holding it constant but it was speeding up a gang do to momentum. Im just really curious about the lil nitchs that go along with the lay out of are cars.

Maybe if we get more posts, people can list the basics of what there suspension setups consist of and make and model just so we can have an even better idea.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Nov 6 2004, 09:19 PM

I have noticed that going down the off ramp from I469 to US 24 accelerating in 2nd gear from 40 to 60 makes my really shitty yk420s squeal like my friends mom in the sack.

I have yet to find a solution as I have no money to put new tires on.
[post=413244]Quoted post[/post]​

This fits because you list the make and model of tire along with the aprox speed inwitch you noticed (give) on the tires traction limits. Though its almost car specific. I couldint tell if you were joking :p I mean did call you guys gay :lol:

Originally posted by GoodSleeperRight@Nov 8 2004, 01:26 AM
Haul ass or be last :slap:
[post=413675]Quoted post[/post]​

Good enough.

I've noticed that right around 115 to 120 mph my carbon fiber hood looks like it might just rip the fuck off my car and slam through my winshield... :thumbsup:

i would like to know what model car you guys have that are whipping out your rear ends like that. that would really help.

Originally posted by Arachnid@Nov 8 2004, 09:12 PM
i would like to know what model car you guys have that are whipping out your rear ends like that. that would really help.
[post=413964]Quoted post[/post]​

I drive a girls car with a 50/50 weight bias and a 50/50 power split, front and rear, with a Torsen rear LSD.

Originally posted by Arachnid@Nov 8 2004, 09:12 PM
[post=413964]Quoted post[/post]​

99 DX Hatch with 99 ITR Full Swap, fully gutted, and its as stiff as it will ever get without a cage in it.

97 GS-R :p

And soon i will be whipping my 91 si HB around too, but first i gota get my license back.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Nov 7 2004, 03:42 AM
:yes: I experienced letting off the gas on an uphill curve at about sixty and the rear-end came loose.  The let go of all pedals trick doesn't work here. I counter-steered, but the car just whipped from extreme to extreme.  I almost died falling off the side. th only thing that I could think of that saved me was Divine Intervention.  Practice carefully guys.
[post=413350]Quoted post[/post]​
try pushing in the clutch so your front tires wont be slowing you down and making your car wanna pass itself cuz it acts like your only are using front brakes.

i haved noticed my engine tends to bog down when i have the truck at a 60+ degree slope and when the side of the truck is draging on the ground

im running my autox mirage... mods in sig...

lots of oversteer without sway bars, the es100s grip well, and the rear end does come out during hard cornering, as some at loco honkey's VT meet saw when i drifted around a volvo in a rough tight right hander on my way UP the mountain. at that time i had my suspension on its softest settings.

never really had any problems with onramps and offramps, though. i dont really drive my car too hard on the street.

I've noticed that when you're doing 150 and a dog runs out in front of you, if you swerve off the road you'll roll 2 or 3 times.

I've also noticed that Hondas don't seem to float very well in mud.

well its typical that on any turn you want to be on the gas while exiting the turn. that puts the weight on the rear end of the car, and if anything you will get understeer. If you want to take these off ramps at crazy illegal speeds, slow down first before entering the turn, then roll on the throttle. if your car starts to understeer, roll off the throttle a little.
The key is to be smooth, and keep it smooth. your already pushing the cars limits, and any sudden movement can cause you to break traction. If your going around a turn and you have the understeer, and you just get off the gas suddenly, it puts the weight of the car on the front end, taking it off of the rear, and now the rear does not have any traction causing it to spin around.

Just be safe, and if your gona go fuck around at 90, you should wear a helmet. lol.

Back