Kseries motor swap: Do I need to remove the dashboard in a 2002 Civiv

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rcaca0

Quick Question. I am thinking about doing a K series engine swap in my 2002 Honda Civic Ex coupe. I noticed on the internet and talking to a few people that I may need to remove my dashboard. Even the video from Hybrid Racing talks about removing the dashboard (it's for an older Honda but I still don't get it). Is this true? If it is, why do I need to remove the dashboard? Is there an easier way?

Thanks,
R

I've never done one, but I'm guessing it's to route the cables and box for the shifter since the K uses a cable shifter box.

For the shifter box, I just need to remove the center console. Is there something I am missing for the K series shifter box? I am thinking I just need to remove the ECU and replace it with the new one and the new wire harness which I think just connects the interior wire harness with the ECU. That leaves the exterior harness. Does anybody know what I need to do to remove the old one and replace it with a new one? Is there anything else that I may be missing?

Just in case someone is looking for how to remove the ECU I found a pretty decent set of instructions here: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...s-fix-forum/293259-how-do-you-remove-ecu.html

For a dashboard, I found: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/117-interior/323192-diy-dash-removal-01-civic.html

Thanks again,
R

i have not done one either, but i have removed a dash in a 2001 civic, and the 7th gen is very easy to remove and put back if you do indeed have to.

I purchased the civic manual and it looks as if there is a grommet that I pull the harness out of. I am attaching a pic of the instructions. Once I know for sure, I will post how I took it out.

Attachments

• Wireharness.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 540
I do not believe you need to remove the dash. My older Honda (1992) didn't need it when I swapped a K

Contact Hybrid Racing by phone and/or check out k20a.org.

Back