KYB GR2 Shock Absorbers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

Here lately i've been thinking about a new suspension. I came across the KYB GR2's and was curious if anyone has driven on or experienced them. I was going to mate them with H&R OE spec springs. So, my question is. Would this be a smooth and comfortable ride, and still have sporty response in cornering and aggressive maneuvers?

If you have a better suggestion on shocks for under $300, im willing to hear them.

They really arn't worth it if you are looking for performance. If you want to corner harder then you need adjustable shocks like the KYB AGX ($300) or Tokico Illuminas (better and $400): you can find both of these on ebay. I got my Illuminas with ground Control Coilovers for $400. Shop arround, you might be able to find some deals.

I agree. AGXs and Illuminas are great for the money- but GR-2s are an awesome value too. I think the GR-2s will match up to the K&R OE sport springs pretty well. KYB states that the GR-2s are valved about 15% stiffer than their OEM counterparts. I have a set on my girlfriend's Civic (and the CRX before that), and a set on my truck. I'm pretty satisfied with them.

for a daily driver they are fine-also depends on how you match up springs to the shocks - if keeping stock shocks might as well get some stock replacements=monroe lol- but if you have after market spring then you need aftermarket shocks that can handle then in etc

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Dec 13 2004, 03:54 PM
OKay, well what about this set i saw on ebay.

Tokico Illuminas w/Tokico lowering springs (1.25 drop)

I know this auction will be over before i get any replies, but they have similar auctions all the time. Its a little lower than what i want, but i could live with it. How good are tokico springs. Remeber i dont want anything too rough or bouncey.
[post=431392]Quoted post[/post]​

they are illuminas u set them the way u want them stiff or loose- u choose the springs are matched to the shocks so no worries there i would say all in all this is a good deal for some one who wouldnt wanna match springs to shocks for best combination of what he needs! set the dial in the middle for near stock ride preformance on a drop - set softer if needed from there-

ive heard the illuminas are too stiff, even at there softest setting. ive also heard the softest setting is about the same ride quality as the tokico HPs.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 13 2004, 03:19 PM
good deal mana perfect for a daily with some added perfomance
[post=431410]Quoted post[/post]​

which setup are you talking about, the KYB's or the Tokicos?

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Dec 13 2004, 02:16 PM
ive heard the illuminas are too stiff, even at there softest setting. ive also heard the softest setting is about the same ride quality as the tokico HPs.
[post=431407]Quoted post[/post]​

People "hear" a lot of things. The Illuminas have only slightly stiffer valving than the AGXs at the stiffest setting, and the AGXs can be tuned down plenty soft for the street. According to a Ground Control rep I talked to a while back, they generally recommend AGX shocks for springs up to 400 lb/in and Illuminas up to 500 lb/in max. The Illuminas aren't going to be super stiff on the softest setting.

Back