l7 in sealed box

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redef91

what up guys im about to install my system in my 91 4dr civic. im using kappa perfect componet in front and kappa perfect rear speakers.with one 10inch l7 in sealed box. im using the kicker amp for the sub its the 600 watt rms one. i was wondering if anyone has this setup in there 4drs or does anyone think its gonna sound good. :dry: :blink:

Quoted post[/post]]
what up guys im about to install my system in my 91 4dr civic. im using kappa perfect componet in front and kappa perfect rear speakers.with one 10inch l7 in sealed box. im using the kicker amp for the sub its the 600 watt rms one. i was wondering if anyone has this setup in there 4drs or does anyone think its gonna sound good. :dry: :blink:
I ahvent heard the perfects in a while but from what i remember they sounded pretty good, as for the L7 you made a very good choice :) I have installed an L7 in a cope and it sound very nice, tight and clean. Did you make the box or did you buy a prefab box?

im using the pioneer deh-8mp deck the one with knob in middle its says it got 6.5 volt preout so i heard that is good.

Quoted post[/post]]
im using the pioneer deh-8mp deck the one with knob in middle its says it got 6.5 volt preout so i heard that is good.
Yea a 6.5v pre out is a plus. If the you already bought the premade box you should be set. But check to see it the box has poly fill in it if it is a small box(1-1.25 cuft). If it doesnt i'd reccomend getting some pillow stuffing and filling the box half to 3/4 of the way full then put the sub in the box. The L7 was designed for small enclosures with poly fill, just a little FYI :wink: The poly fill will cause the sub to act like its in a larger enclosure yielding you a better sound.

do i real need ploy fill i called my local car audio install they stated does real make huge difference.

In my opinion go spend the $1.99 at a local crafts store buy the polyfill and put it in. I heard it with and without it; and having made the sub sound deeper.

ehhhhhh wrong it is all an illusion and it will not make any noticable difference if you have it or dont have it.

There is a difference. With a smaller enclosure (like an 8 or 10 in a .5-1.5 cube box) the low end gain is more noticable. In a large enclosure, say 2.5 cubes for my 15, it'll not make a perceptive difference.

The main difference you'll notice is the damping of standing waves and upper level/midbass harmonics. It'll smooth out the response more than an unstuffed box (but you're still at the mercy of a car's standing waves too).

I think this is why some may believe its an illusion, because the sub isnt playing upper harmonics* it makes the sub less locatable**.

*distortion products manifested as higher frequencies. Which appear as multiples of the fundamental freq. IE 60hz tone with 2nd order har. at 120hz, 3rd order at 180hz. Higher orders and Odd orders are worse.

**Subbass is omnidirectional they say(relatively), but if your sub is playing those high order distortions your brain will pick it out.

PS was that all necessary? probably not...

ok got it installedt 2 days ago by perfossional audio shop got it back. i here feedback when the volume is on zero i dont think that is normal. and he like he blasted the bass settings. he said its for breaking in subs, but wont that fuck up my interiors speakers also . :blink: it sounds loud as shit at volume 10 its pioneer and u knwo the volume goes to 62. now i was wondering y does it have feedback i havent got chance to ask him because i just got it back from the shop. im diff going call him tommarow and ask him. and the interiors sound so low. :dry: :cry:

o yea he ended up using poly fill :mrgreen:

A. Bass settings on the HU? Just turn them off/flat for now. Break-in shouldnt be done at max power with uber-bass settings to clip the signal.
B. Constant noise (feedback?) like that is probably a bad ground. Is it a whine? Does it change in pitch when you rev?
C. He set the gains on the amp(s) too low (but he probably thinks they're volume knobs anyways, thats when i'd run).

Quoted post[/post]]
A. Bass settings on the HU? Just turn them off/flat for now. Break-in shouldnt be done at max power with uber-bass settings to clip the signal.
B. Constant noise (feedback?) like that is probably a bad ground. Is it a whine? Does it change in pitch when you rev?
C. He set the gains on the amp(s) too low (but he probably thinks they're volume knobs anyways, thats when i'd run).

yea bass setting on the hu on the amp there like 45 percent, yea bought when the engine revs and like when its just chillin, what u mean by part c

yea he stock cross over in doors too is that normal? :dry: and said takes about a week to break in. i hope this guys knows what he doing. and there is alot of feed back both wining when the engine is reving and just regular feedback. i paid this guy 300 to install my system and i seem like he beat me for my money. he said he needs to use some nosie filters for the feed back. :blink: what u guys think i should do i mean he talks like he knows what hes doing thats y a let him touch my car. TOMMYTHECAT what u mean clip out if the setting r to high on the hu it will clip out or if there to high on amp. :worthy:

Crossovers for the components? Its fine to mount them in the doors.

The noise is most likely due to the power wire coming to close, or into contact, with the signal wire(rca). Its whine from the alternator.

On clipping, read this: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm . It boils down to sending to large of a signal to a sensitive amp input(sensitivity which is changed by the Gain knob).

BCAE is a great site for a beginner to learn about car audio. Not too complicated, yet very informative. It'll help you a lot to go through it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Crossovers for the components? Its fine to mount them in the doors.

The noise is most likely due to the power wire coming to close, or into contact, with the signal wire(rca). Its whine from the alternator.

On clipping, read this: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm . It boils down to sending to large of a signal to a sensitive amp input(sensitivity which is changed by the Gain knob).

BCAE is a great site for a beginner to learn about car audio. Not too complicated, yet very informative. It'll help you a lot to go through it.

thank bro for ur time and help :mrgreen:

My cousin had two sealed L7s in his Isuzu Trooper(only one was hooked up though because the other had a hole in it); connected to a Sony amp. he had the crossover too high and it sounded crappy. we turned it down and it was decent.

Back