l7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redef91

wat will sound betta in my hatch sealed box or ported one.

ported box. but remember when you have a ported box you need a bigger amp than you would for a sealed one.

No you dont. Max power handling decreases in a ported enclosure, even with the use of subsonic filters.

Yeah, either a ported or a bandpass box will do you good.

bandpass = big space requirement. o btw, which order of bandpass were you referancing specifically?

if you goto the kicker website, when using a "sealed box" power handling is lower then when using a "ported enclosure"

Quoted post[/post]]
bandpass = big space requirement. o btw, which order of bandpass were you referancing specifically?

if you goto the kicker website, when using a "sealed box" power handling is lower then when using a "ported enclosure"

Where does it say that? The power handling is shown as a single number without any indication of box type. The SIZE of the box is different, with the ported requiring a larger box- but power handling will always be higher with a sealed box than a ported box.

L7 were design for small sealed enclosures, but thats not to say they dont sound sweat in a slot ported box. L7 and a bandpass box dont mix well at all, it will sound like sh*t. If you had the room i'd port it but if not you will no be disappointed having it sealed :) If you need help with tuning the ported box i have a program that tells you what size port to use for the size of the box and tune frequency.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
wat will sound betta in my hatch sealed box or ported one.

Depends. What kind of boom are you looking for?

like deep sound everyone outside the car can here

yea that how systems get stolen :slap:

systems are made to heard on the inside of the car not the outside :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Where does it say that? The power handling is shown as a single number without any indication of box type. The SIZE of the box is different, with the ported requiring a larger box- but power handling will always be higher with a sealed box than a ported box.

Kicker manual
goto page 6 and page 7. its a solo-X, but it behaves like any other woofer. higher power in a vented box vs. a sealed box.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Kicker manual
goto page 6 and page 7. its a solo-X, but it behaves like any other woofer. higher power in a vented box vs. a sealed box.

It's not quite that simple:

http://www.rdrop.com/users/billmc/hp48/spkr48_3.6.shar.old

The Pmax figure is a maximum momentary power handling number, not anything that you should use as a reference for how much "constant" power you can feed from an amplifier. The higher the frequency being produced, the higher your Pmax becomes. Since the ported box is tuned to a higher frequency, the Pmax for the whole system is higher- it doesn't mean that the speaker can take a larger amp and be ok. The function of the ported box is to increase the efficiency of the speaker by allowing sound waves from the rear of the cone reach the listener's ear- but you lose the acoustic suspension of the sealed enclosure. Since you don't have an air spring supporting the cone anymore, you have less control of the cone's movement- so you shouldn't push as much power into the speaker as you would with a sealed box. A high power level that would be safe in an acoustic suspension enclosure (sealed) can easily cause overexcursion in a ported enclosure, then upset the voice coil and blow everything apart.

If you read the disclaimer on page 7 of the manual, you'll get a little bit of what I was talking about in the beginning of the paragraph:

"This enclosure is designed for SPL ONLY! It is designed to be used with test tones above 56Hz! Playing music with frequencies below 56Hz will results in very, very bad things happening!!"

Sure, you can drive more peak power into the speaker at specific frequencies and benefit from it with a specific box design, but try to load up your ported box with the same low frequencies and power that you can push through the sealed box and you'll end up blowing stuff up. I know I don't listen to music that consists of only 60Hz sine waves- do you?

you have a hatch so save the space and the weight and go sealed. And give us all a break and do it right and not GETTO FABLESS ...!!!!! Tune and build you system for the inside and not the outside.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Kicker manual

It's not quite that simple:

http://www.rdrop.com/users/billmc/hp48/spkr48_3.6.shar.old

The Pmax figure is a maximum momentary power handling number, not anything that you should use as a reference for how much "constant" power you can feed from an amplifier. The higher the frequency being produced, the higher your Pmax becomes. Since the ported box is tuned to a higher frequency, the Pmax for the whole system is higher- it doesn't mean that the speaker can take a larger amp and be ok. The function of the ported box is to increase the efficiency of the speaker by allowing sound waves from the rear of the cone reach the listener's ear- but you lose the acoustic suspension of the sealed enclosure. Since you don't have an air spring supporting the cone anymore, you have less control of the cone's movement- so you shouldn't push as much power into the speaker as you would with a sealed box. A high power level that would be safe in an acoustic suspension enclosure (sealed) can easily cause overexcursion in a ported enclosure, then upset the voice coil and blow everything apart.

If you read the disclaimer on page 7 of the manual, you'll get a little bit of what I was talking about in the beginning of the paragraph:

"This enclosure is designed for SPL ONLY! It is designed to be used with test tones above 56Hz! Playing music with frequencies below 56Hz will results in very, very bad things happening!!"

Sure, you can drive more peak power into the speaker at specific frequencies and benefit from it with a specific box design, but try to load up your ported box with the same low frequencies and power that you can push through the sealed box and you'll end up blowing stuff up. I know I don't listen to music that consists of only 60Hz sine waves- do you?

not using the SPL box, you can still run considerably more power. tuned @ 35hz. there is also a cooling property associated with vented boxes. I agree, sealed boxes offer a larger frequecy response range, but in all my experience in the SPL competition world, and all my conversations with the big names and record holders, Vented = more power. The idea behind higher frequency allowing more power, is that the higher the frequency the less abuse it actually is on the woofer, so the more power you can put to it. 35hz is plenty low, and most people dont go below that, and most manufactuers prefer you not to go below that. With a sealed box you have a little safety margin.

Nismo: If you are going to say a ported enclosure, playing a smaller bandwidth, has a higher power handling-you're right. But if we limit the bandwidth of a sealed enclosure, either by making it smaller or eq/crossover, we've increased the power handling as well. Works in reverse too, larger box or wider bandwidth we get less power handling-for any box.

Back