Laptop Recommendation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swanny

I am currently in the market for a new laptop. I don't need anything special by any means, it's primary use will be for schoolwork and basic Internet browsing. I really would like to keep the price tag under $800. Does anyone have an opinion on Vista? Durability is a plus because this will be getting tossed in my 50 lb backpack on a daily basis. These were two I had in mind.
Inspiron 1501 Details
Dell Home Systems Inspiron E1505
Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated. Thanks!

i took back vista, microsoft cut me a check for 165 for my home premium upgrade. My cd drive showed wrong driver, but it is the only driver for my drive. So i tried a seperate manufactuer's drive and still same comp;int. Then my xbox 360 wouldnt recognize my media center on my vista. I sat for 3 hours on the phone with microsoft, but i got my refund. Suckas! Screw vista, I have purchased it and realized it is a resource hog, and aero can be done through various skin programs. VTP 6.0 final is a good alterative for looks, and you can keep the security features. Ill use a firewall and say screw vista. Dell is good for a laptop, TurboMirage will say acer. But from my personal expierence Dell's phone support is top notch. :thumbsup: Plus look into a core duo processor if you can afford it. Definatly worth it.

I'm really happy with my dell. I have a 700m and it hauls ass and was worth the 1100 I paid two years ago.

acer aspire 5672 will run vista easily, and its a year old.

ive got a dell d620 latitude new in box i will sell you for $620 shipped. comes with office 2k3 basic.

my gateway kicks ass. i had a dell desktop and it was a piece of shit.

It's President's Day weekend. Go out and get something badass. My friend said tomm he's getting an HP w/ Vista for like $600 I think he said.

do yourself a favor and don't buy a dell. you'll thank me in exactly a year when your motherboard fries.

getting a new computer now, pretty much vista is the only smart choice. All the rest are leftovers that still have xp on them.

upgrading to vista is one thing-- which i wouldn't recommend right now.
buying a system with vista, is a different animal. it's been tested by the factory to work.

i had zero problems upgrading to vista. infact now my pantech EVDO card works in viata.

My fiance and I love our HP pavillion widescreen laptop. We have had no problems and I love the fact it has a number pad on it - makes entering my grades really easy.

do yourself a favor and don't buy a dell. you'll thank me in exactly a year when your motherboard fries.

getting a new computer now, pretty much vista is the only smart choice. All the rest are leftovers that still have xp on them.

upgrading to vista is one thing-- which i wouldn't recommend right now.
buying a system with vista, is a different animal. it's been tested by the factory to work.

listen to b. I dont remember who said that he had a 700m but eventually your power cable wont work and youll have to wrap it around the screen to get it to even occasionally charge.

Do what b did. Buy an HP. You wont regret it.

i really like my laptop.

Compaq evo n600c. Small, Thin, Light. i run 2k on it, but xp wouldnt be a problem. 1.2 GHz and 512 MB mem, 30-40 GB HD space. perfect for light work and internet browsing. my dad picked it up for me a few years ago for like 500 bucks. ive seen them on ebay for like 300-400 now. oh and ive dropped it quite a few times and i take it with me all the time to class in my back pack and its fine. hell i even ripped it apart and put an internal wireless card in it so i wouldnt have to worry about the PC card breaking when i carry it around (plus it just looks cleaner)

i realy like the compaq/HP's. my .02

listen to b. I dont remember who said that he had a 700m but eventually your power cable wont work and youll have to wrap it around the screen to get it to even occasionally charge.

I have a 700m. 1.5 years runs like the day I got it. I love it.

Macs are pretty good options in IMO. If you dont want to deal with viruses or tweaking/upgrading and just want something to surf/pictures/videos it works very well. The only real downside is its a bit more than a comparable PC and upgrading is expensive, but you get to be cool like the mac commericals say.

PC-wise, I would say IBMs, Sony, HP and Toshibas are good bets to be good brands. Out of the those, HP would be the best bang/buck.

Here are the things I would recommend in looking for:
Least -> Worst
Intel Core2Duo (Conroe)
Intel Core Duo (Merom)
AMD Turion X2
Intel Core Solo
Pentium M
AMD Turion
AMD Sempron
Intel Celeron

To tell the two Intel Core Duo's apart, look at the product number. If its the T2xxx its the old core. If its T5xxx or T7xxx its the newer and better core. Note: Not too much difference between the two cores except the newer runs a tad cooler and faster. However, if you do a lot f CAD, gaming or anything CPU intensive, the later core will be significantly faster.

Next thing is RAM. 1GB is minimum, especially if youre thinking about Vista. Vista wont even boot with 512mb and shared VGA ram. 2GB is where it is happy.

Lastly the hard drive. Faster RPM = faster loading/boot/etc... Also the more the merrier.

The other things to consider is what do you want it do. That will dictate the screen size and extra features. 15.4 LCD widescreen is standard and dvd burners should be considered and feature on most standard notebooks. Theres also extra video Outputs like S-video or even DVI.

Pricing wise its usually the smaller and more portable its more expensive. Also the larger and more powerful it gets more expensive.

Werd - dont ever buy a computer made by people who do not even own digital watches. . .

Back