Laptop Recommendation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

do yourself a favor and don't buy a dell. you'll thank me in exactly a year when your motherboard fries.
Listen to B. I have a Latitude D800. When it's working it is great, fast, etc. But to date (2.5 years) I am on my 3rd hard drive, 2nd screen, and probably 3rd or 4th complete system resets. And that's while it is under warranty. I can't imagine what's in my future.

I'll probably break it before April when my warranty is up so I get a whole new system, haha.

I like my HP, and Back-2-school = cheap ass laptop time. If you could wait I'd suggest it.

Macs are pretty good options in IMO. If you dont want to deal with viruses or tweaking/upgrading and just want something to surf/pictures/videos it works very well. The only real downside is its a bit more than a comparable PC and upgrading is expensive, but you get to be cool like the mac commericals say.

PC-wise, I would say IBMs, Sony, HP and Toshibas are good bets to be good brands. Out of the those, HP would be the best bang/buck.

Here are the things I would recommend in looking for:
Least -> Worst
Intel Core2Duo (Conroe)
Intel Core Duo (Merom)
AMD Turion X2
Intel Core Solo
Pentium M
AMD Turion
AMD Sempron
Intel Celeron

To tell the two Intel Core Duo's apart, look at the product number. If its the T2xxx its the old core. If its T5xxx or T7xxx its the newer and better core. Note: Not too much difference between the two cores except the newer runs a tad cooler and faster. However, if you do a lot f CAD, gaming or anything CPU intensive, the later core will be significantly faster.

Next thing is RAM. 1GB is minimum, especially if youre thinking about Vista. Vista wont even boot with 512mb and shared VGA ram. 2GB is where it is happy.

Lastly the hard drive. Faster RPM = faster loading/boot/etc... Also the more the merrier.

The other things to consider is what do you want it do. That will dictate the screen size and extra features. 15.4 LCD widescreen is standard and dvd burners should be considered and feature on most standard notebooks. Theres also extra video Outputs like S-video or even DVI.

Pricing wise its usually the smaller and more portable its more expensive. Also the larger and more powerful it gets more expensive.

All good advice....id just take sony off the good company list. ive had to deal with their PC customer service and its almost as bad as dell. Tosh HP and IBM are the companies to go with. IBM > HP if you can afford it. (They are called Lenovo, but its IBMs product)

If HP wasnt Java based id give you a link, but look for dv6000t

Core 2 Duo 5200, 1GB of ram, 80GB Hard drive and vista basic (ick) for 819. I wish they still offered XP, but i guess thats asking too much.

Last edited:
hey i got a toshiba notebook for sale for $650 bucks
its decent its about 2 years old its a topshiba A105 you can look up the specs on it.
i just got a new mac notebook
so im tryin to get

If you are considering a Core 2 Duo system, wait until the new motherboards with the 800mhz FSB come out. The Core Duo processors are on par for the most part with the Core 2 Duos, and unless they can be had for around the same price, I'd look for higher performance in the other components before paying extra for a Core 2. A couple of articles I've found helpful in my research for a laptop deal with the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors, as well as some simple helpful information on mobile video cards/gmas.

AnandTech: Mobile CPU Wars: Core 2 Duo vs. Core Duo
The Mobile Graphics Card Info Page - Updated 2/20 - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

good info, i've been looking into laptops. Been messin around with the Hp customizer thingee. Computer comes after vehicle, then i gotta sell my car, then i can get a laptop. :D

hp 15 inch v6000t, vista home basic, duo t2250, brightview widescreen, 2gb ddr, 80gb 5400rpm hd, lightscribe super multi 8x dvd rw dual layer, intel prowireless w/bluetooth, 1 yr service plan all for 1029. Not too bad.

ive got a new in box dell latitude d620 for sale... 1.66 core duo with 1gb ram. $600 :)

Back