laptop

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iron 1

well, in August I'm going up to Alaska for a 3 month tour on a commercial fishing ship. that's right, I'm giving up a nice fairly cushy job for 16 hour work days, out in the middle of the bering sea.
I'm looking for a newer laptop, that I can play dvd's, and some music on. something to keep myself occupied while I go to sleep.
I'm kind of looking at a Dell, only because I've used their desktops before, and they're fairly cheap. I'd like to stay around 700, but If I find a good deal, I'll be willing to spend a little more.

thanks for any help..

oh yeah, I'm kinda hoping to get some video/pictures out there as well, any suggestiong for a good digital/video camera would be awesome.. when I get back I'll post some up for ya'll.

I would recommend a Sony VAIO for the laptop...but those are prolly a little high for your price range.

P.S. You prolly should have posted this in the Computer section :ph34r:

i like dell for the laptop and polaroid for the camera

dells suck.

toshiba > *

and you're going on the wolds most dangerous job according to discovery channel.

you won't even have time to use a laptop, let alone sleep. lol

Averatec makes a decent lappy for a decent price. Newegg carries em, but if you prefer retail chains, Circuit City has them too.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 2 2005, 07:20 AM
dells suck.

toshiba > *

and you're going on the wolds most dangerous job according to discovery channel.

[post=493934]Quoted post[/post]​

Toshiba makes complete pieces of shit. My roommate has a toshiba (and I KNOW he hasn't abused it or done anything stupid to it) and it has already gone through 1 motherboard, 1 sound card, and a harddrive. Now it doesn't charage correctly, and its all fucked up...and only 9 months old.

Don't buy a toshiba whatever you do. B, I'll correct your statement for you.

Apple > *

If you REALLY have to have a PC, I'd go with a Vaio, they are the only laptop that my friends own that hasn't taken a shit on them (That goes for HP's, Dells, Toshibas, etc..)

Originally posted by importjdmcivic+May 2 2005, 02:32 AM-->
P.S. You prolly should have posted this in the Computer section :ph34r:
[post=493906]Quoted post[/post]​
sorry 'bout that, I totally didn't even notice a computer section.

pissedoffsol
@May 2 2005, 08:20 AM

ahh it shouldn't be that bad, 16 on 8 off... for 3 months straight.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 2 2005, 09:20 AM
dells suck.

toshiba > *

i like it, im going on a year with no problems. and still as fast as i need it to be.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 2 2005, 10:48 AM
Averatec makes a decent lappy for a decent price. Newegg carries em, but if you prefer retail chains, Circuit City has them too.
[post=493984]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 2 2005, 09:48 AM
[post=493984]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree, a buddy of mine has one and I like it better than then my dell, because its smaller and lighter. battery life is pretty good on them also
walmart carries them also

dell laptops SUCK. The screen is fucking terrible, the entire machine feels flimsy, and from what I have heard, the reliablity on them suck too. I love my vaio. It has the new type of screen where you can view it from more then just directly on, and it is illumintated by LED's so it is MUCH brighter. When apple finally steps up to this type of screen, I will be buying one.

Edit, well looks like they (dell) finally steped up to the better technology on some of there higher quality ones or as they call it UltraSharpTM Display with TrueLife. There XGA screens on the 600m and a few other models suck horribly

I was looking for a laptop too. However, due to sufficient funds and the minimal use it will get, Ive decided to focus more on building my desktop. Anyway, found some useful info.

In a recent product quality rating, Sony came up top. They were followed by Toshiba then by Dell. Of course you get a mixture of reviews, but general consense say Dell blows. Also, upon futher investigation, IBM was not included in the round up. But the general consenses are they are built like tanks. Made to last even though the company has shifted manufacturing to China. Oh cant forget Macs. Been said they make excellent notebooks as well.

Anyway, my opinion is, save for a nicer laptop like a Sony or IBM, or maybe even a Toshiba. The IBM and Sony are pricy, as are the Macs, but the Toshibas are affordable. Laptops arent like desktops where if something brakes, its easily and relative cheap to replace. Unless of course youre running a AMD FX processor with an ATI X850 XT video cards of some sort. But laptops are much more expensive to replace and arent as easy to fix, omitting the hdd, memory, and drives.

All in all, get a nice laptop or get a 2-3yr warranty or even both. Itll be worth it in the end.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 2 2005, 05:20 AM
dells suck.

toshiba > *

I agree, with the Toshiba part. Or since it is not a gaming machine (i.e. laptop) look at the 12inch iBook (spend more get more).
Oh and Crabbing is much more dangerous than comercial fishing. Whatever you do bro do not get into crabbing it is not worth it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 11 2005, 01:06 PM
acers suck, from what I heard, the quality rivals eMachines, but they do make the Ferrari Laptop lol

Must be fast
[post=497968]Quoted post[/post]​

oh my god. :slaps forehead:

Those Toshibas are pretty damn sweet my friends Dad just got one. Only buy an Apple if you are doing Multimedia i.e. Graphics or Music or Video Editing there is no reason to spend the big bucks just to use it for the internet. Just my .02

Back