lastest idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

number9

So, my latest brain storm is to drop a b18c5 into my teg. Part of this plan would have me selling my '98 b18b engine/tranny with (now) 51,000 miles (not abused other than at Bristol; Redline synthetic since 4K).

In order to help me crunch the bottom line cost, what could I expect to get for the b18b? I've been offered $1K w/ a trade-in on a b18c5, but I suspect I can do better privately. This is still window shopping, but I'd also consider something that included doing the swap - say, someone offering me $ and the swap labor.

btw, the same place that offered the $1K also said they'd do the swap for $500 -$600. The swap cost seems reasonable, but it's a fair distance away from CT.

I'm interested in what "you-all" have to say.

Thanks.

i dont see why you would want to swap, you do amazing with what little horsepower your b series pushes now. ;)

maybe just do a few quick power adders?? port and polish?

True. I suspect I'll run with what I have. For this year anyway. There's just so much fun stuff one can do to these things! It's endless.

i know someone in NY area that has a mint type r swap for only 3500...

if you want it i will hook you up, but then i want a sweet heart deal on your b18 :p

lemme know if you're interested...

you could get 1500 for the b18b, more if you find someone who wants it fast asap, local, etc. i paid 1200 for my 94 b18b (which was later sold to bill with the red hatch) with 80k on it through a hookup at terryville auto.

as for paying for the swap...

you got us :)

buy us beer and dinner, and between myself, bill, and clayton, (and E if he deicdes to show up before the award ceremony :ph34r: ) and who ever else wants to help out, we'll have that in and running in a weekend tops. Swaps are easy. it's all the other tedious stuff that takes for ever, aka my whole setup. lol

LOT'S OF BEER......the good stuff....not the carbinated camel piss that they sell under the Budweiser lable. ;)

Beer and dinner is easy. Done.

Now we just need to find a buyer for the 18b at $1500, and a very inexpensive 18c5 that we can trust.

Since I'm gladly continuing this fantasy, should we replace the stock lsd with a quaife while we have the opportunity?

nah...forget about any LSD.....

We still need the hope that we might beat you one of these day's. :lol:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Originally posted by Airjockie@Mar 15 2004, 04:27 PM
nah...forget about any LSD.....

We still need the hope that we might beat you one of these day's. :lol:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

This is going to be your year!

I hope so.....I got big plans for the CRX....but first I got to get the AE86 somewhat finished, and ready for hard drifting. Sad thing is...I'll have an roadrace prepped trany for free, but it's only for my 260Z...and it wont see a race again......unless I find a good decent framed Z for it to go into if I can rebuild the trany that is growling on it now.....Plus, I was also offered another 260Z engine with a 1000 miles on it........for free....qith carbs...but the same DGV's that I have now...

My garage will be fastest on Hondaswap...and I only have 2 honda's now.

I need a bigger garage...the Toyota parts are getting mixed with the Honda parts, and soon Z parts will join the big mess...and I have no idea where half of my tools went.. :blink:

i bet they are all underneath the yota parts... did you leave anything in the cars??

clayton, im in to come down and help you sort and post ebay all those parts you arent going to use.

Originally posted by number9@Mar 15 2004, 03:41 PM
Beer and dinner is easy. Done.

Now we just need to find a buyer for the 18b at $1500, and a very inexpensive 18c5 that we can trust.

Since I'm gladly continuing this fantasy, should we replace the stock lsd with a quaife while we have the opportunity?

buyer for the LS swap. Post it up - for sale when c5 is in and running :)
inexpensive c5 = not happening. lol
quaiffe's are stronger than the oem diff by far, but for what you do with the car, i din't think the cost would be worth the gain.

Chip-
I found a buyer for your motor in CT. he's down by clayton in the Trumbull area. He's looking for an LS swap for his g/fs car.

If you want to do this, time is now!!!!

Drop him an e-mail: HybridKOOP@aol.com

I can help do a swap! I love wiring! I wanna help! ME ME ME!

did somebody mention beer? It would have to be Michelob Ultra for me... Carbs = bad... :)

Thanks guys, but I don't think it's going to happen this year. It's still on the list, however.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 15 2004, 06:39 PM
<peer pressure>
come on, you know you want to
</peer pressure>

Peer presuure has no effect on people when it comes to improving their car it seems :)

The horsepower gain is nominal for the effort invested. I would say re do the cams, port and polish, 3 angle grind and stiffen up the bushings and motor mounts. Put more of the power you already have to the ground.

-> Steve

Back