Launching.........

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeremykedel

I have raced a guy with a ls in a hatch 6 times he always wins. He says that the hatch is gutted and the ls has type r running gear. He always wins out of the hole and by about a half to a full car length. Somebody tell me what to do. OH yeah i have a 1994 del sol b16a dynoed 171 and 111lbft. :worthy: :worthy:

What tires you are running make a huge difference. With my Quaife LSD and Nitto 555r drag radials I usually launch between 3500-4000 rpms in my car on the street. I just kinda slip the clutch a little bit and feather the throttle until I am going fast enough to give it full throttle. If your car is bogging down try giving it more gas. If you get a lot of wheel spin give it less gas. Oh find some road in the middle of nowhere and practice a lot.

how to launch:

press clutch
shift into 1st gear
press throttle
rev to 8500rpm
rapidly release clutch

ls > b16

horspower sells cars
torque wins races

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 24 2004, 02:38 PM
ls > b16

horspower sells cars
torque wins races
[post=354463]Quoted post[/post]​

So THAT'S why my b16a that only made 200 ft lbs runs 114 MPH in the 1/4.

:doh:

Originally posted by jeremykedel@Jun 24 2004, 02:02 PM
I have raced a guy with a ls in a hatch 6 times he always wins. He says that the hatch is gutted and the ls has type r running gear. He always wins out of the hole and by about a half to a full car length. Somebody tell me what to do. OH yeah i have a 1994 del sol b16a dynoed 171 and 111lbft.  :worthy:  :worthy:
[post=354441]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, its called Torque. . . you and me just dont have it.

You should still beat him however . . i dont see how he can be quicker than you after u hit 2nd gear . . .

B i beg to differ . . . put an LS motor into my current car and it will be slower than with the B16.

"...And physics dictates that an engine putting out 160HP absolutely will provide more forward thrust than a 150HP engine, regardless of what crank torque the two engines have, assuming similar transmission efficiency and optimal gearing for both cars. This is plain high school physics. Unless someone can prove that the laws of thermodynamics and Newtonian physics are false, there is no way around this fact."

courtesy of http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/commonmiss.html

the reason you are losing is because you are not driving your car to its potential. You have to feather on the launch and keep the revs up...way up. because the b16 powerband is so damned high, once you drop below 5500rpm you've basically lost your edge.

Originally posted by spectacle@Sep 19 2004, 11:18 AM
"...And physics dictates that an engine putting out 160HP absolutely will provide more forward thrust than a 150HP engine, regardless of what crank torque the two engines have, assuming similar transmission efficiency and optimal gearing for both cars. This is plain high school physics. Unless someone can prove that the laws of thermodynamics and Newtonian physics are false, there is no way around this fact."

the reason you are losing is because you are not driving your car to its potential. You have to feather on the launch and keep the revs up...way up. because the b16 powerband is so damned high, once you drop below 5500rpm you've basically lost your edge.
[post=392169]Quoted post[/post]​

I think i may be in the same boat as the author of this thread. . . .

I notice when i just pop the clutch real quick, the best i can hope for off the line is a lil peelout and some bogging down. .

Can you elaborate on "Feathering the clutch"? Im assuming i have to ride it soemwhat out of the whole in order to get a sweet launch.

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Sep 19 2004, 05:35 PM-->
spectacle
@Sep 19 2004, 11:18 AM

[post=392169]Quoted post[/post]​

I think i may be in the same boat as the author of this thread. . . .

I notice when i just pop the clutch real quick, the best i can hope for off the line is a lil peelout and some bogging down. .

Can you elaborate on "Feathering the clutch"? Im assuming i have to ride it soemwhat out of the whole in order to get a sweet launch.
[post=392177]Quoted post[/post]​

let me see if I can get this right....

first thing is let me explain the problem. this may be true for more then one vtec motor but I only have experience with the b16 so i'm gonna use it for this example. launching the b16 is a very delicate process...in order to do it right you have to find the 'sweet spot' per say. because of its lack of torque...anything lower then say 3500 is gonna get you no where. but anything slightly under vtec or higher is gonna make you spin to hell and back. the trick is to find that spot where you make power, but only enough to spin the wheels a little and then grip real fast. depending on the street conditions and type of tires you have of course. me personally...my spot was right around 4.2k-4.5k. I would slip the clutch and spin initially, let out on the gas slightly and as soon as I caught traction, floor it. slipping the clutch is NOT as easy as it sounds...you have to practice, practice, and practice some more. you will bog out A LOT while you are figuring this out. and you are not going to figure it out driving from stoplight to stoplight getting beat by LS's.

just remeber that if you do have a bad launch...just do whatever you can to get out there and keep the revs up. and when I say up I mean shifting so you stay above 5200rpm. it may seem extreme @ first but thats what you gotta do to win. and if you can't ever get the launch right, there's always 30-40mph roll races to have fun with. :)

Well, i guess i just gotta practice.

Eventhough i have 45HR street tires is it worth heatin em up a lil so i can launch a tad higher than 4k?

Originally posted by 97hatch@Sep 19 2004, 07:15 PM
yes b tq wins races i love my 120hp b20
[post=392205]Quoted post[/post]​

torque does not win races...good drivers with torque win races

even then...torque is optional

i don't care how much TQ your car makes...if you don't know how to drive it YOU WILL LOSE

Originally posted by spectacle+Sep 19 2004, 02:17 PM-->
@Sep 19 2004, 07:15 PM
yes b tq wins races i love my 120hp b20
[post=392205]Quoted post[/post]​

torque does not win races...good drivers with torque win races

even then...torque is optional

i don't care how much TQ your car makes...if you don't know how to drive it YOU WILL LOSE
[post=392206]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly, if torque won races, we would race DumpTrucks.

Back