Leak down test results

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohmstable

I just did a leakdown test on my DOHC ZC and here are the results

Cyl #1 - 27% leakage ; mostly from exhaust valves
Cyl #2 - 20% leakage ; mostly from exhaust valves
Cyl #3 - 50% leakage ; mostly from exhaust valves
Cyl #4 - 25% leakage ; mostly from exhaust valves

These numbers seem pretty bad, especially #3. I also notice that the exhaust side of the head has some serious carbon buildup - approx 1 - 2 mm of buildup.

So my question is, should I get the head redone? should I do it myself? If I wanted to do it myself, where would I get the valves and shit from? I want to get it done as cheap as possible.

you can't do the head yourself unless you have a press and a valve grinder. The shop I am using charges like $12/valve for a regular reseat and valve 2 angle grind, provided you can do your own disassembly and reassembly. And yeah, that is a lot of carbon. But I had more than that on my piston heads. Why did you do the leakdown in the first place? Poor performance? I did mine with a homemade tester after my timing belt tensioner blew out; my cylinders had lots of leakage.

damn im paying 165 right now to have crower dual valve springs installed with top proline racing valves with a resurface and a 3 angle valve grind.

if you dont know how to do it. pay to have it done.

If that is the price including all the new parts, please refer me to your machine shop, cuz you are getting majorly hooked up.

I had just bought this engine and decided to do the leakdown test before putting it into my car. Looks like I'll have to get the head work done. I've got to find a place here in Toronto, Canada that will do it.

Back