leaking after axles were removed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

ok so im in the middle of a gsr swap and we took the axles out and the one that goes into the tran started leaking. iis this suposed to happen or did we fuck up a seal or someting. it looked like oil but it wasnt too dirty. anyone ever have this prob or know anything bout it. themotor is going in this sat. so i have time to fix it if it needs it

so we didnt do anything wrong and im good for them to go back in? just replace what drained out?

this is a very disturbing question from someone thats in the middle of a GSR swap... hope you have a good shop nearby...

check your seals, and make sure you use the right fluid to fill it back up, but everything should be fine...

DO NOT DRIVE IT without replacing that fluid...

I got a big syringe to replace the fluid. they sell them at automotive stores, just suck the fluid out of the oil container and stick the hose into the fill plug on the tranny. fill the tranny until the oil level in the tranny is level with the plug.

I cant remember what type of oil you need but Partsource ran it through there computer for me and told me exactly what I needed. I can check when I get home if you like. I still have the bottle.

you are talking about transmission fluid coming out of the axel socket right, And not coming out of the axel it's self right?

this is a very disturbing question from someone thats in the middle of a GSR swap... hope you have a good shop nearby...

why is that?

i can check when I get home if you like. I still have the bottle.

that would be great

you are talking about transmission fluid coming out of the axel socket right, And not coming out of the axel it's self right?

that is correct. axle popped right out and then oil came out of the whole in the trans. o and since i know nada bout the seals any one got a pic of good and bad seals so i can check them?
thanks for the help

These seals are rubber and if you nicked them or snag them they could leak. I always replace these seals when I change a transmission. They probobly cost $5-6 each and it's worth it not to have a leak when you are all done. They are pressed in where the axles go into the trans. You can pry the old ones out and gently use a rubber mallet or something to put the new ones in. Be careful not to nick the transmission when you pry the seals out. It is best to use a seal pulling tool. They are cheep from auto parts store. Good luck.

thanksdo u know what they are called or are they just axle seals.
the swap its going well took my old oil covered dx motor out today and put the gsr in. a lil wiggling and it dropped in to place. im going to the store tomarro to get all my fluids. any thing i need to know befor the first time i start it up?

o and who makes a good short shifter?

Back