Leaking camshaft seals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jixer615

i just need some help with a problem, the only problem on my rebuild. i broke b16a2 engine in on the street thanks to that one topic about break-in secrets on this site. coming back to the garage noticed that my cam seals on the timing belt side were leaking, i replaced them and they still leak.

my honda manual doesnt say how far back you can push the seals onto the cam so does anyone have any answers to my problem?

the oil comes out of the bottom of the outside part of the seal, if i remove the seal, theres an oil passage, how far away must the seal be away from it.

I wish that I could help you with that my friend and do hope that you find the answers you are looking for, however; how did your break-in go, aside from the leaking seals?

great, everything is running so well, the idle is perfect along with the engine temp. took off my a/c so theres plenty of xtra room and less weight. i installed a ACT 4 puck clutch, replaced the clutch fluid and it catches so i need to get use to it. i took it out last night, and its fast. once the break -in period is all finshed, i can start preparing for the FI mods.

i was laying on the couch and thought of maybe putting RTV on the outsides of the seals, maybe even Honda Bond, let it set up alittle and then re-install the seals, maybe it will work, perhaps?

well i fixed it! turns out it was the two plugs on the left side of the head where you can take out the rocker arms shafts out. the machine shop i guess forgot to tighten them down good. all and all it runs great with no leaks now.

should i readjust the valve clearance after the break-in is finished?

i would do it after the engine is broken in, and let cool overnight. dont go attempting it if the motor has been run within the last 4-8 hours or so. just to be safe, let it cool overnight, then get out there and set your lash.

Back