leaking oil from wastegate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
I started my car today after turning it off maybe 10min prior and it had a rough idle. It sounded like it was runnin off 3 cylinders and THICK smoke coming from the exhaust tht smell like RICH fuel. I immediately left the parking lot i was in and it acted funny accelerating about 20ft then started acting normal again. I gave it a bit more throttle to inch out of the parking lot and the smoke cloud came again and rough idle. I drove the car a few more feet and it started acting normal again, and then repeated the process until i came to a stoplight. As i left the stoplight the problem seemed to VANISH, and i could build boost and sounded fine, no issues at all. I Got home and popped the hood and smelled burnt oil, and noticed oil leaking from the gasket where the wastegate bolts to the manifold.. I checked my oil and it wasnt low. Started the car up a few more times and reved it and the problem was gone.. Any ideas??

sounds like it could be the seals on the turbo going, or you didn't let it fully cool down before turning it off last time.

sounds like it could be the seals on the turbo going, or you didn't let it fully cool down before turning it off last time.

Errr.. Most likely option B. >.< My turbo timer went out, guess i didnt let it sit long enough before manually turning it off.

if it doesn't come back, theres probably not much to worry about. you probably had a 'clot' of oil stuck in the turbo that got super heated.

I would change the oil though asap.

Back