leaking oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok guys and gals i have a oil leak i went to the bottom of the block changed the oil pan gasket changed the oil drain plug and i cleaned out the bottom of the block and every where there was oil. two three days later i checked again and boom the oil was back i cleaned the block and everywhere there was oil. i turned the engine on and stayed under the car (i know it is crazy) and it is one small drop of oil and it was coming from the back of the head so i was looking and it is coming from the cam gears by the time belt now some one is telling it is my cam seals but i looked at the cam seals and they look like it goes on the other side of the cam by the dizzy. what does the cam seal look like and where can i get it besides going to honda my honda dealer sucks because the never have anything in stock! please let me know thanks

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jul 21 2005, 11:27 PM
ok guys and gals i have a oil leak i went to the bottom of the block changed the oil pan gasket changed the oil drain plug and i cleaned out the bottom of the block and every where there was oil. two three days later i checked again and boom the oil was back i cleaned the block and everywhere there was oil. i turned the engine on and stayed under the car (i know it is crazy) and it is one small drop of oil and it was coming from the back of the head so i was looking and it is coming from the cam gears by the time belt now some one is telling it is my cam seals but i looked at the cam seals and they look like it goes on the other side of the cam by the dizzy. what does the cam seal look like and where can i get it besides going to honda my honda dealer sucks because the never have anything in stock! please let me know thanks
[post=529695]Quoted post[/post]​

The cam seals are at the end by the distributor. I am not sure what it is called, but there is a seal on the head, on the other side by the cam gears. If you know that it is leaking from your head, you can get an entire set of all the gaskets and seals for the head. This is probably a good thing to do, because it seems that for me, as soon as I replace one gasket to stop a leak, another leak comes up at a different gasket. This is because it is just trying to find the path of least resistance, so as soon as you reinforce one area with a new gasket, another older gasket will be the weakest part. So if you are going to go through all the trouble, you might as well do it all, and not have to worry about it for a long time. You can look at hondaautomotiveparts.com; they have OEM shit for less than the dealer, but I usually just use this as a starting point, because they have really good schematic breakdowns of parts (the same as the dealer has) which makes it easier to find what you need. After that, you can usually find stuff like that on ebay or other internet stores for cheaper (even for OEM stuff).

13s020_a0310.gif

hey thanks for the heads up i took the car to honda and he told me it was part number 23 that are no good so i ordered some new ones and since i have to change those seals i am going to put new cams in at the same time ;) thanks man

happy to see you found what caused the leaks. I replace three auto zone axle seals on my car and still leaks until i got the Honda genuin(sp) part and the leaks stop.

its more like i hope and pray it is it because i changed everything else i can think of and the oil is coming from the timing belt area

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jul 26 2005, 07:12 PM
13s020_a0310.gif

hey thanks for the heads up i took the car to honda and he told me it was part number 23 that are no good so i ordered some new ones and since i have to change those seals i am going to put new cams in at the same time ;) thanks man
[post=531582]Quoted post[/post]​

Cool, oil leaks drive me nuts. I don't want to have to add oil to my car every couple of days like i'm driving some old beater that blows oil through the motor. But leaks aren't as bad as burning oil, you can always plug a leak.
What kind of cams are you going to put in? I've heard that to fully get the potential from bigger cams you need to increase your compression ratio. I just got a buddy club thin head gasket from inlinefour.com for $90 after shipping. On my set up the compression should go up from 11.1:1 to 11.4:1. There is a CR calculator on c-speedracing.com which is pretty cool. You just enter in what engine set up you have, and it will tell you what the CR will be, and you can see what different thickness head gaskets and different pistons will do for your compression.

Originally posted by BigBoulda@Jul 27 2005, 10:32 AM
Cool, oil leaks drive me nuts. I don't want to have to add oil to my car every couple of days like i'm driving some old beater that blows oil through the motor. But leaks aren't as bad as burning oil, you can always plug a leak.
What kind of cams are you going to put in? I've heard that to fully get the potential from bigger cams you need to increase your compression ratio. I just got a buddy club thin head gasket from inlinefour.com for $90 after shipping. On my set up the compression should go up from 11.1:1 to 11.4:1. There is a CR calculator on c-speedracing.com which is pretty cool. You just enter in what engine set up you have, and it will tell you what the CR will be, and you can see what different thickness head gaskets and different pistons will do for your compression.
[post=531889]Quoted post[/post]​

well since i am going turbo soon i am looking to stay low compression so i am going with a set of gsr cams a little more aggressive but good for turbo for what i understand i already sold my itr cams and i am looking to sell my si cams so we will see what happens i am going with a small turbo until i can afford to rebuild my block AGAIN but i will wait got some ctr springs in the head and gsr cams and beside i don't really rev past 7gs so i think i will be good my head gasket is oem three layer so my compression should be to what the calc says 10.0:1 until i get me some pistons that will get me like 9.1 or so i should be ok with 8 psi on my small dsm 14b turbo set up

not trying to steal the thread or anything but is there a site like that hondaautomotiveparts.com for acuras? Im building a B18b for my civic hatch and just dont have time to go to the dealership.

The distributor has an o-ring, the exhaust cam has a cap, the seals are by the cam gears.

got already taken care of i just have not driven the car around to see if it is still leaking not my daily driver ;) but i am going to drive it today to start picking up my turbo kit :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back