Leaking tail lights on 1986 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1986CRXHF

I have a 1986 CRX HF and I'm getting water in the wheel well where the spare tire is stored. What can I use to reseal the tail lights or are the gaskets an item I can order from the Honda dealership? Any idea where I can get an original replacement Honda hubcap(about 6"-8") diameter which came with the car? I only have three of them. Don't know what happened to the fourth one. Thanks for any help. Gary

There is a flood port (hole) in every trunk and is usually sealed completely with a rubber seal or a grommet. When it rains, sometimes (when un-sealed) will splash water inside. Could also be leaking from the hatch seal, as specified by Scott. Take a look around the back and look for water residue and track where its coming from.

Leaking tail lights

It does look like its coming from the tail lights. No stream or mark where water has seeped down from the hatch at all. I did have a leaking 3rd light but I sealed that up already. Thanks for any more ideas. Gary

i went the opposite way with my taillights; i've had three different hondas that have had taillights that collect rainwater. i didn't seal 'em, i drilled holes in 'em :D. you can drill a small hole in the bottom of the taillight and the water will just drain down the back bumper. can't see the hole, no stress. :shrug2:

my 88 crx has the same problem and its coming from the hatch seal cause i can see where its driping from its coming from where the hatch shocks are located so i have to put some clear silicone or replace the entire seal.

I get the idea that the leak isn't coming FROM the taillights (You have rust or any other water gathering in place?) so the leak is coming from AROUND the taillight.

That would the trunk seal. I promise you. Or you have a rot hole behind the taillight (You would see it when you remove the taillight inspection panels) and the water is running off the mounting bolt into the bodies steel.

dont forget that the OEM foam gasket may be disintegrated back there. on my 1st crx i had that issue. i ended up running thin, wide bead of silicon around the metal areas where the taillight met the body. make sure you get the flexible kind ;) otherwise it wont seal right, or it will push the taillamp out.

i actually did this to my mirage not too long ago. a fucking 2000 and the dealer doesnt sell the foam gaskets anymore.

Back