1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaking Trunk

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by wanderinman, Mar 21, 2005.

1. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

1996 LS sedan
    Ok, my trunk RANDOMLY started leaking the other day (ok, about 6 months ago, I'm just getting around to dealing with it). I think the water is coming in from behind the tail lights, but I can't figure out a reason for it to have started leaking. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it, I was planning on getting some expansion foam and sealing the back tail lights. I've already lost my carpet on the bottom and my cardboard flooring to mold, and its getting worse.

2. CrazyAzn

CrazyAzn Senior Member

i had that problem, but that was on my 90 hatchback, it turned out the rain gutter that ran drained down went straight to were my tail lights are. so they water was gettin in between the tail light and the body, basically to fix that i used some weather seal stuff, basically silicon to seal off the tail lights (tail lights to the body) and woosh, problem fixed.

on another note i had a 92 lx sedan but didnt have that probklem i had more along the lines of a leaking passager floor, but a stupid ass driver fixed that headache when he hit me on the way to school, and bought me my hatchback. fun stuff but a sad ending to a good car.

i dont noe if that helps at all, but mine was leaking from between the tail light and the body.

3. wanderinman

Yea, thats exactly what I was thinking it was, I'll go to wal-mart and seal that bitch up later on today. Thanks

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

my 98 fodo leaked. i replaced all the seals and stuff and it still leaked. never figured out how/why. my spare tire well would fill up with water whenever it rained. i just drilled a buncha holes on the bottom of the spare tire well so the water would drain out.

5. TWISTEDIMAGE

TWISTEDIMAGE Senior Member

do you still have the foam on the tail lights that seal out water

6. wanderinman

There's about a 1/4" gap between the lights and the body, and it doesn't look like there was ever any foam. Its not so much that it is leaking, cuz that I can fix, I am just pissed I can't figure out why it started (I'm a dork like that, I dont enjoy when things with no brains outsmart me, lol)

7. TWISTEDIMAGE

TWISTEDIMAGE Senior Member

the tail lights should have about 1/8 inch thick peice of foam between the light and the body

8. wanderinman

9. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

yeah, you should have a foam piece there

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted