Leaky car. My car's like a mobile swimming pool.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

Hey all. My 91 hatch leaks... well it leaks everywhere and I'm not sure what to do.

The two main leaks are in the rear hatch area and in the passenger side foot well.

In the footwell it seems like it's coming down the firewall. The hole where the AC lines used to run was open because the previous owner ran wires through there for the b-swap and never plugged it up. I put some tape over it until I can get the plug put back in (need to re-route the wires first, but i did buy a plug already). However, Even taped up, it still seems like I'm getting water flow in to the passenger wheel well area. Is there anywhere else I should check? I know the windshield seal isn't in the best condition because it has a few small leaks up at the top (its just a very light dripping) but I wasn't sure if that would cause major flooding in the foot well. If i'ts just sitting in the rain it doesn't really fill up but if I have to drive in the rain it starts to build up very quickly.

The other area is the rear hatch area. I'm not positive were the waters coming from back there but it looks like its getting in and running down the body before leaking in to the hatch from behind the interior panels. Does anyone have any idea what that could be? I read in a thread, that there are drain tubes from the roof that drain towards the back of the car. Is it possible that these are clogged up? I was also considering the possiblity of the taillights leaking but it really does seem to come more from the sides and leak out from under the rear panels down in to the spare tire well. Maybe the rear window seals?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm just not sure what to do with this car anymore.

In my '95 coupe I had a passenger side firewall leak which ended up being the rainwater drain. Over the years it had become blocked up with pine needles and dirt. Cleaning it out fixed the leak immediately. I was afraid it was the heater core but it wasn't.

As far as a hatch leak I would check all weatherstripping and then check the rainwater drains, then start checking body seams.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

get someone to spray the the car with a water hose while look inside the car, mybe you can pinpoint the leak.
I've done this for the front which was how i found the unplugged hole in the firewall. I haven't had a chance to try it for the back yet though. I ight give that a shot once it warms up a little more. It does seem like its leaking from under the rear side panels though. Right around the shock towers.

In my '95 coupe I had a passenger side firewall leak which ended up being the rainwater drain. Over the years it had become blocked up with pine needles and dirt. Cleaning it out fixed the leak immediately. I was afraid it was the heater core but it wasn't.

As far as a hatch leak I would check all weatherstripping and then check the rainwater drains, then start checking body seams.

I'll have to see if i can find were the EF rainwater drain is. I wouldn't be suprised if mine was plugged.

I'll check the weather stripping next time i get a chance. i could have swore i looked at it before and it was ok, but i'll give it a second look.

the drains run down to the sides of the rear panel :lol: that may be your problem all in one.

super easy fix, really.

as for the tail lights its a common problem to see leaking there. make noew gaskets and you're good to go.

Back