Legality

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KWJaY

I live in san diego, you think a teg with a b20swap and a turbo is legal? pass emissions etc

The swap engine has to be newer than the car, and I don't think that any aftermarket turbo is legal in Ca. I know there is a company that is trying to make a street legal turbo, but only 40 WHP, waste of money.

The b20 "should" be legal as long as you dont put a VTEC head on it (head swaps in cali are illegal) As for the turbo, have no clue, but I thought that greedy had a legal turbo kit.

Thank god i dont live in the fuckin state, New jersey sucks too but not like that. I'm startin not to want to move to california, my car would end up being illegal.

yes greddy turbo kits are now CARB legal for honda and acura. i don't know about other makes and i don't think that any other turbo kits are.

yes greddy turbo kits are now CARB legal for honda and acura. i don't know about other makes and i don't think that any other turbo kits are.

Not necessarily in California, it is illegal to have modified exhaust, in any shape. And we all know that without a free flowing exhaust, you can choke the turbo to the tune of about 20 WHP, not getting through, because of the exhaust. Almost pointless to buy a turbo then. Also, if an aftermaket Intake is illegal as well, why would the turbo be. Only in california is all this illegal.

stfu... the greddy kits ARE cali legal.. tony had one on his car and how are the other 23049589303 turbo honda's passing emissions? They make kits, have to find them.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 16 2003, 10:26 PM

Not necessarily in California, it is illegal to have modified exhaust, in any shape. And we all know that without a free flowing exhaust, you can choke the turbo to the tune of about 20 WHP, not getting through, because of the exhaust. Almost pointless to buy a turbo then. Also, if an aftermaket Intake is illegal as well, why would the turbo be. Only in california is all this illegal.

umm no... CARB is the California Air Resources Board. anything with a carb sticker is allowed in cali. There ARE intakes (like AEM) that are CARBed, as well as turbo kits. I am almost positive you can have exhaust because when I went to cali, every fucking truck, compact, every fucking car, had exhaust, and I am sure that there are carb legal exhausts. It is the cat that is the important part.

the actual law in california is that you cannot legaly modify your exhaust in any way... so if a cop wants to be an ass your getting a fix it ticket... i think that law has been around a while though and most police officers flex that law to fit the situation

Originally posted by KWJaY@Oct 16 2003, 06:25 PM
I live in san diego, you think a teg with a b20swap and a turbo is legal? pass emissions etc

oh to answer your question... not legal... but u should just swap the b20... leave it all stock and get it reffed... then begin to modify... keep all the stock shit for when you gotta smog it

Actually, you dumb fucks, I lived in California so you visiting has nothing on the experience I have from living there. I had modified exhaust too, and I did get pulled over for it. How do you fix it, well, either get it written off by a cop buddy, or take it off, take it to a CHP office, get them to write it off and put it back on. Every two years you have to get your emissions checked, so you will have to take it off at least that often. As for turbo kits, I do not think that they are legal in California, you can get them, but you will need to get it taken off if you get pulled over. I am sure you can find them if they are out there. One more thing, if you guys have seen any reports on busted street racing in California, you will see that they get fix it tickets for every little thing they have done to their car, down to not being able to hang something from your rearview mirror, even a parking permit for schoo. So why don't you Shut the Fuck up Asshole.

you all need to seriously quit being such assholes to each other. every thread i read is fuck you, your wrong, your an ass, or whatever else you can think of. i'm getting tired of all that shit. you all need to shape up or get out.

Well, I am pretty sure that in most of these posts, Domeskilla started the bad mouthing, but instead of me putting the blame, I will no longer cuss or demean him any further, thank you for the warning.

i wasn;t specifically targeting you frankie, i just happend to post about it on this one..

its not just domeskilla either, its most everyone on this board.. its just hard to enjoy cruising hondaswap when every otehr thread is "fuck you, fuck that, you suck, your cars sucks" and so on.

i just really hope allthat crap stops, SOON.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 16 2003, 11:58 PM
Well, I am pretty sure that in most of these posts, Domeskilla started the bad mouthing, but instead of me putting the blame, I will no longer cuss or demean him any further, thank you for the warning.

bad mouthing? all i said was stfu.. shut the fuck up.. before you went on and on before listening to someone else.

i know ou lived in cali.. now you live in austin.. not far from me.

I lived in San Diego once... sniffle, It's so hot out here in the inland empire...
anyways, a b20swap is legal if it's the model year or newer of your car (and not stolen, and from a USDM vehicle) you can go to the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) and get it checked off (I have done this with my friend). Exhausts with 50 state certification are legal (duh!) if they are quiet enough. GReddy makes a CARB legal turbo kit, AEM makes a CARB legal intake... exhausts are not ILLEGAL UNLESS:

27151. Modification of Exhaust Systems
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle. 76 dbA @ 35- mph 82 dbA @ 35+ mph

there you have it... keep it under 76dbA and it's fine.

No offence to the people who lived here and thought that everything was illegal, but where on earth would you get that notion?

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 17 2003, 08:36 AM
Well, I am apologize, I was extremely pissed off that the Yankee's won. Anyway, where do you live?

Arlington, you're 3 from me when cruisin and about 2 if we're driving normal.

Back