Legality

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Oct 17 2003, 01:20 PM
I lived in San Diego once... sniffle, It's so hot out here in the inland empire...
anyways, a b20swap is legal if it's the model year or newer of your car (and not stolen, and from a USDM vehicle) you can go to the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) and get it checked off (I have done this with my friend). Exhausts with 50 state certification are legal (duh!) if they are quiet enough. GReddy makes a CARB legal turbo kit, AEM makes a CARB legal intake... exhausts are not ILLEGAL UNLESS:

27151. Modification of Exhaust Systems
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle. 76 dbA @ 35- mph 82 dbA @ 35+ mph

there you have it... keep it under 76dbA and it's fine.

No offence to the people who lived here and thought that everything was illegal, but where on earth would you get that notion?

:withstupid:

Yes a B20 swap is legal. Yes you can do head swaps. yes you can have modified exhaust. yes, TURBO KITS ARE LEGAL. wtf is this illegal in Cali shit? I just went and had a smog done with a motor and head swap, modified exhaust, 11.5 c/r, intake, header, high flo cat, bla, bla ,bla.... Oh yeah. I LIVE in San Diego.

KWJAY - go talk to Gregg at Pann Auto over on Convoy. He's one of the managers there and also a friend of mine. They have a legal turbo kit there for $2800 with a t3/t4 and not some pussy-ass greddy kit. Tell him Shadney sent you. Or give me a call at 925-765-3966 and I'll get you a deal.

:peace:

LEMME BASTARDIZE THIS THREAD REAL QUICK.

consider yourself lucky sohcslammer, and keep going to them for smogging... heres why...

b20 swap....ILLEGAL
HEAD SWAPS... ILLEGAL

first.. why just the swap is illegal (in bold)
Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

Soooo, CRV (SUV) (b20) is not in the same class as a (insert car here)(passenger vehicle)

and just for fun HEAD SWAPS...(cuz im already at the site, in bold)
Heads
Replacement heads must be identical to the original part. Head swaps from different years, engines or makes are illegal. Aftermarket heads or valve train components that are not made to the same specifications as the original parts require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

There goes any type of head swap (b20vtec)

and as long as the Turbo has a CARB number, its legal. If it doesnt, then its not legal, plain and simple.

for all info, and where i got this info, please feel free to visit, and read for yourself
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

And, I am going to have to agree with paragus, everything in California is freaking illegal. Greddy exhaust kits are now legal, the new law in California, is any modification in exhaust is illegal. I know this, because my buddy put a fart can exhaust, with no pipe, still quiet, when his muffler got a hole in it. He got pulled over, and to fine an exhaust from Toyota. The cop might have just been an asshole, but the muffler shop I went to in California told me the same thing.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 18 2003, 07:03 AM
And, I am going to have to agree with paragus, everything in California is freaking illegal. Greddy exhaust kits are now legal, the new law in California, is any modification in exhaust is illegal. I know this, because my buddy put a fart can exhaust, with no pipe, still quiet, when his muffler got a hole in it. He got pulled over, and to fine an exhaust from Toyota. The cop might have just been an asshole, but the muffler shop I went to in California told me the same thing.

modified exhausts are not illegal, it is only the noise you need to keep down. when i had my tanabe racing medallion i got pulled over on the freeway for modified exhaust. put the silencer in, went to the highway patrol. he had me start the car and rev the motor, wrote it off, that easy.

I had a lot of problems with mine, but now that I think about it, everytime I did get pulled over they said it was too loud.

Page 2 = :owned:

Originally posted by B16@Oct 18 2003, 07:06 AM
modified exhausts are not illegal, it is only the noise you need to keep down. when i had my tanabe racing medallion i got pulled over on the freeway for modified exhaust. put the silencer in, went to the highway patrol. he had me start the car and rev the motor, wrote it off, that easy.

all of the above is true

Back