let me know what you guys think

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
Hey guys I’ve been pondering on ideas for my build whenever I get enough money to actually do it. I want to tear the engine down and rebuild it while doing some modifications. I plan to do as much work as I can. I know I need a helms manual, ill get one sometime, lol. here’s my list that I’ve composed so far. Feel free to make suggestions as I’m looking for opinions on this setup. My goals are to have my car daily driven on 93 octane while getting fairly good gas mileage and good reliability and still be able to tear up both the drag strip maybe once or twice a month and I might up the road course every now and then too. Looking for low 13 sec passes but I would be very pleased to break into the 12’s if at all possible.

ENGINE
Rebuild :

OEM Honda valve seals
B-Series Valve Cover Gasket Kit
ITR throttle cable w/ bracket (for skunk2 mani)
OEM Honda water pump
Timing Belt
Cam Seals
Bottom-end gasket kit
Rod bearings
Main bearings
Throttle body gasket
Spoon 2ply head gasket
New oil pan (mines all dented)

^most of these things are from inlinefour.com

Upgrade :

Spoon Sports magnetic drain plugs
Proflow Design Throttle Body
Skunk2 Racing valve springs
Type-R intake valves
Skunk2 titanium retainers
Skunk2 cam gears
CTR pistons w/ wrist pins and rings
ARP Rod bolts
APR head studs
Either CTR or Skunk2 stg2 cams
Skunk2 intake manifold
Hondata intake manifold gasket
PnP and 3 angle valve job
Fluidyne radiator
MAYBE some bigger injectors <- suggestions
Maybe hondata or vafc to tune a little bit, but it shouldn’t need much tuning

Convert over to hydro tranny with HAsport kit and either run the GSR tranny or ITR tranny
<- clutch suggestions (nothing too aggressive)

SUSPENSION

New shocks <-- suggestions
Suspension Techniques sway bars
Energy Suspension bushings (master kit w/ all bushings)

EXTERIOR

ZC CF hood

You can see my modifications to date in my sig

Thanks

looks like its about 50/50, anyway, back to my setup....

thoughts? comments? suggestions?

ok well, if you want to run 12s all motor, you aren't going to do it on ctr pistons and cams. you're running 15 flat now.... the 20-35 horse from the cams, IM, and compression won't dump you in the 12s. no way.
you're going to need a more agressive cam, higher compression, or a lighter car.... the dc 4-1 header is good, but might not be good enough... shit like that.

im not TRYING to run 12's, i said it would be nice if at all possible. i figured i wouldnt get it yet, oh well. do you think i should go for the skunk2 stg2 cams then? i figure my compression will be about 12.3:1 with this build. but im runnin 15 flat right now because of some unknown reason. either im a shitty driver (that time was from the first time i ever went to the drag strip) or theres something wrong with my car that i dont know about, plus i dont have my header put on yet. i know the mph is good for a low 14, thats where i should be.

does anyone have suggestions on the overall build? good/bad for what i want? suggestions in the places where i specifically asked?

again im not looking for a full out drag car or track car, just a fast daily driver, and weekend warrior. comfort is somewhat an issue an reliability is a factor too.

setup sounds decent, but you should pick a more aggressive cam, like b said. for a clutch, try a clutch net, or i like the itr oem clutch. if you can pick up a hondata s200 for cheap, go for it. definatly get some type of tuning device. VAFC works well also. good choice on the energy suspension bushings :thumbsup:

thanks, so you think i should go with the skunk2 stage2 cams?

These are my opinions..... Take them for what they are worth.

CTR pistons :thumbsup:

Spoon sports drain plug : A waste of money, change the oil more often. Unless money is no problem. And if its no problem why are you driving a Honda?

Skunk2 vavle springs and retainers: I have used them but for the money I would go with Portflow. They are cheaper and will do the job.

Arp rod bolts and head studs. I feel they are not needed. I have seen motors blow with and without them. I would reuse head bolts.

CTR cams: Too small, for top end power. Especially if you have the valvetrain that can handle more lift. Go with the Skunk2 stage 2.

Hondata intake manifold gasket: I think this is a scam. They bolts that hold you manifold on are still metal and transfer heat.

Skunk 2 intake manifold: :thumbsup: This actually makes power, but I think you can get big power out of the OEM piece too, remove butterflies etc.. This maniflold will create major volume. If you get the skunk2 manifold sell me the stock one for cheap. :)

PnP and 3 angle valve job: Valve sealing is a huge deal. Good vavle jobs make power, as poor ones will lose power. Tom at portflow does some of the best.

MAYBE some bigger injectors : Stock will handle up too 200whp. But yea i would go with preludes if you can get them, waaaay cheaper then RC. But if you get RC got with the 310 cc i dont know why people buy the 270's

Hondata kicks VAFC ass, but is more expensive. Vafc will do the job.

Low 13.'s should not be a problem. 12.s will be close, but with the skunk cams it should not be out of reach... Good driving, track conditions, elevation etc... oh, yea you gotta have slicks.
Good luck, Keep us posted. Hit me up if I can help,
Dave

Originally posted by no2psi@Nov 4 2003, 07:35 AM
I would reuse head bolts.

i woudl not do this. infact i tried to on my last build, broke the bolt at the threads on around 25 ft/lbs. do not ever reuse head or rod bolts, at least get oem replacement, they strech. but, the oem head bolts are like only $10 less than the arp head studs.

thanks for the opinions no2psi. but this is just my plan for right now, i wont be starting this for AT LEAST 6 months if not longer. thanks guys.

due u have the aem stand alone instead of the hondata but anyways if u want a car to get about 500 hp at the wheels then go to this site they are mmy buddys up here in new hampshire. Kinetic Motor Works, engine swaps, custom turbo setups|Import Auto Technicians if u click on videos there is a video of a corvette being beat by a honda civic turbo the civic pulls 10s will i pull 11s in my vette before i supercharged my vette and i now pulls 9s but anyways for 3500 they can build u a motor to get 505 at the wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back