Let Me See Your Tint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Winter isn't even over and it's starting to get pretty damn hot out here. So the time has come to put tint on my Mazda 5. I'm doing it mainly because I wanna block the sun for my son but at the same time I want it to look nice and not too dark. My friend has 5% all around on his Integra and that shit is complete over kill. At night you can barely see other cars next to you. I was thinking 25% (do they even make 25% lol) in the back and 50% for the front windows. Winshield will be untouched of course. In Cali you can't go darker than 70% on the front windows but I know for sure that is too light and most cops can't tell the difference between 50 and 70.

So let me see your cars with tint and let me know what percent your running.

You might wanna check the laws in Cali... they only let you go down to a certain percentage, and I'm pretty sure 25% (meaning 75% of the light is blocked compared to an untinted window) is going to get you pulled over.

I have no idea what my tint percentage is, but it's not that dark at all. Maybe 75% tops.

Edit: Google.com owns...

I can legally get 30% tint for my car here in Indiana, but 70% tops for you in Cali. Get 70% and make sure you have your paperwork for it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Winter isn't even over and it's starting to get pretty damn hot out here. So the time has come to put tint on my Mazda 5. I'm doing it mainly because I wanna block the sun for my son but at the same time I want it to look nice and not too dark. My friend has 5% all around on his Integra and that shit is complete over kill. At night you can barely see other cars next to you. I was thinking 25% (do they even make 25% lol) in the back and 50% for the front windows. Winshield will be untouched of course. In Cali you can't go darker than 70% on the front windows but I know for sure that is too light and most cops can't tell the difference between 50 and 70.

I think I knew that already James :p

In Cali, the only restrictions are to the front windows. The rear windows can be as dark as I want. :)

med_gallery_28114_460_24745.jpg

5% on the rear windows. It's not CT legal. I have 23% on the door glass. Again, not CT legal. I don't get too much harassment about it. Reversing is a pain in the rain, or at night.

5% is over kill Steve. As you know now lol. The 23% up front doesn't look too dark but I'm assuming that's onlt because we can see light coming from the winshield. I think i'ma go 25% for all rear windows...maybe 30%, still undecided. Definately going to arond 50% for the front tho.

Is the 5% the only one that's hard to see through at night and in the rain? or is the 23% too dark also?

Sorry, didn't catch this before.

For reversing in the rain at night I will usually pull the ebrake, get out, and scope out my path, noticing cues around me (Reflectors, porch lights, rock walls and poles) then I'll get in and do my best to see where I'm going. Because seriously, you can't see a goddam thing at night in the rain. When you're on the road though, it's fine. You can see headlights, their reflections on the pavement and you can tell distances quite well. I pay close attention to my side mirrors and back up very carefully.

For the side windows, no problem. I don't think 25% is dark enough, honestly. From inside the car during the day, there is NO difference between the 5% and the 23%. (I mean, there IS but it's not noticeable). With straked glass, the more straked it is, the harder it will be to see out of it. For a CRX, for instance, even 25% will be opaque. You will see fine out of the lower window, but the top will be unusable. That flat back window affords me more vision than you may think.

If you have a hatch do NOT I repeat do NOT attempt the tint yourself. You're only setting yourself up for an upset. And especially the ED rear glass. It's concave both ways and impossible to get bubbles out of.

Oh, and I have a 5% strip across the front window. I may do the tint again because I'm starting to get some breakage on the film (It looks speckled). I also never use glass cleaner on the inside. I use soapy water and a squeegee. I clean the outside with glass cleaner foam and a razor blade. Keeping up with that routine, I've lost a little potency in the tint (On a bright day, you used to not be able to see through any glass... as if it was painted over on the inside) but now you can make out silhouettes.

Next time I'm going to experiment with mirrored tint and black tint. With a light protection limo set down, I'm going to them lay over the mirrored tint. The result: Not mirrored, but you will NEVER be able to see inside the car, and from the inside the tint will be insignificant.

That's a tip from your Uncle Cel.

blurry pic, but I've got 20% all the way around.

mypicz189.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

In Cali, the only restrictions are to the front windows. The rear windows can be as dark as I want. :)

I know you knew, I was reiterating it to make my point with the next sentence. :)

The rear windows can be whatever you want, and the windshield can't be, and the sides are 70%, right?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I know you knew, I was reiterating it to make my point with the next sentence. :)

The rear windows can be whatever you want, and the windshield can't be, and the sides are 70%, right?
the rear windows, including the rear side windows can be as dark as I want, the 2 front windows are limited to 70% and the winshield cannot be touched except if you want to put like a border of tint across the top 4 inches of the winshield, that is ok. The thing is that 70% is so god damn light that I don't think cops wouldn't even know the difference if I even had 40% on the front windows. The rear windows are going to be no darker than 20% because I need good visability because i'll have my son in the car with me. I'm just lost on the front windows because I want them as dark as possible but to the point where there is enough visability to where the cops don't give me shit.

I have a friend who has 35% on his front windows and they don't look too dark so I might go with 40-45%...not sure yet. I want to see a car who is going to have a similar set up but to no avail. Even Steve's 23% doesn't look too dark but I think that's only because light is coming through the winshield.

Anyone got some more pics so I can get a better idea? Thanks

Back