let's play 'What Is Civicious Up To?'

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, I pulled DX tranny #1 apart today...and got greeted with an unpleasant surprise.

magnet in the transmission casing:
Part1-2.jpg

hey there, little guy...where'd you come from?
Part2-1.jpg

Oh! There's your home!
Part3.jpg

fucking TONS of metal shavings, AND one of the shift forks is broken. Lovely. The synchros were also ground all to shit...making this transmission absolutely fucking worthless. At least I'll have a spare differential, I guess...

I called the guy I got it from (who actually happens to be a good friend of mine)and told him, and he said that a friend of his has an Si tranny that he can get me. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week. I really don't want to use an Si tranny, because I want longer gears...but if DX Tranny #2 is garbage as well (and I have a feeling that, judging by the rust on the differential, that it might be) I might just be stuck with the Si...although I might be able to use the DX final drive on the Si tranny (the gears in each are the same, I believe, it's the FD that's different)...

Also, I should pick up my block from the machine shop tomorrow, and since I've already got the main bearings spec'd all that's left to do is spec the rod bearings and throw everything together, which I should have finished before the middle of next week.

edit: Oh, and I almost forgot...look what I found at Hollywood Video tonite!!
IA.jpg

If you haven't seen it, you should. It's incredible. (thanks Mike)

On another note, if anyone wants to buy a set of unused (although opened and put in a block to check clearances) std-bore 75.00mm Vitara pistons, I've got a set with the wristpins (but no wristpin clips) that I'll sell for 80 bucks shipped to anywhere in the continental US. I'm strapped for cash for the next couplea weeks due to the machine shop charging me more than they originally quoted.

STD bore Vitaras for $80, anyone?

Wow. You bought it or rented it? I'm surprised you found it!

Damn Wil I swear if it's gonna happen it will to you, sucks about those trannys, on a side note I worked on Infernal Affairs just don't tell anyone I don't like to admit it.

OMG SECKS!!!!

Got it all together earlier today...freshly bored .20 over and decked...w00t!
5zgai6x.jpg

Last edited:
thats hot!

you gonna clean up the exterior of the block?

thats hot!

you gonna clean up the exterior of the block?

it's actually damn near spotless, I put it in our parts washer at work for about 12 hours before I assembled it...I think it's just the lighting combined with my shitty-ass cameraphone.

Back