Lets see who knows their stuff...

Lets see how smart people are: Torque=

• ft/lb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHen you find the torque it goes the lbs applied by the feet of appliction if I'm correct. Been 2 years since my POT(Principles of Technology) class.

For some reason we always called it footxlbs if I recall. But multiplication is communitive so doesn't matter.

Kind of like newton x meters, etc. I used to use this stuff on a daily basis, been a long long time.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+Dec 9 2003, 12:13 AM-->
WHen you find the torque it goes the lbs applied by the feet of appliction if I'm correct. Been 2 years since my POT(Principles of Technology) class.

For some reason we always called it footxlbs if I recall. But multiplication is communitive so doesn't matter.

Kind of like newton x meters, etc. I used to use this stuff on a daily basis, been a long long time.
:withstupid: It's been so long since I've taken algebra ....

highperboi
@ Dec 9 2003, 12:29 AM
lb-ft
my scc magazine says so!!!

:bo: So does mine, how bout that? :lol:

Torque is measured in pounds moved per foot, so if you want to be technical and apply symbols then A is wrong because you're not dividing.

Torque = F X D, where F is the force vector, and D is the distance vector. Take the cross product, what do you get? Well for a magnitude it would be f*d*sin(theta). In the case of theta being perpendicular to the force and distance vectors (i.e 90 degress) it simplifies to f*d. In SI units, that would be Newtons*Meters. In good 'ol America, it is pounds*feet. Hence there is no division, because if you have lb/ft, it is equivalent to mass per unit length, which is a completely different measurement. There is no reasoning here, unless you don't believe in Newtonian physics.. it just is.

lol so there is no short corect way of saying
Torque = F X D, where F is the force vector, and D is the distance vector. Take the cross product, what do you get? Well for a magnitude it would be f*d*sin(theta). In the case of theta being perpendicular to the force and distance vectors (i.e 90 degress) it simplifies to f*d. In SI units, that would be Newtons*Meters. In good 'ol America, it is pounds*feet. Hence there is no division, because if you have lb/ft, it is equivalent to mass per unit length, which is a completely different measurement.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 9 2003, 03:25 AM
D: neither of the options you listed is technically correct.

thank you, drive through

Sorry B. but pick up a physics book and the US measurement is lbs-ft
and the US society has dubbed Foot-lbs for some odd reason.

Torque = Force * Distance ; whether it's Newton Meters, Kilogram millimeters, Lbs Feet, or Lbs inch

Although the question should have asked, what is the unit of measure for Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back