Lets talk engines.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicslayrx

:D Alright, first off if you don't Have something nice to say, don't say anything.

2 nights ago i get a call from my best friend the convo went something like this.
me- "yeah"
mike- "Hey, ......."
me- "what?"
mike- "How much you think it would cost to build a 450 horse car like yours?"
I don't wanna bore you guys with the details but I'm kinda at crossroads. He knows absolutly nothing about imports. He rides fmx, and grew up working for his dad helping with the monster truck. So he doesn't know what he wants to do besides these few things.
1. 450 horse power MINIMUM.
2. Turbo
3. eg coupe.
4. Pump gas

Basiclly he needs me to tell him what to order, and show him how to build it. We have until spring to get it done. Were going to set the car up around the motor, just like we do the trucks. So i figured we'd get the motor setup out of the way seeing how it is going to be the hardest for him to understand.

Now as far as budget, Pistons are free, as are rods if we play the cards right. Bearings are free. The motor will be 100% arp hardware, and again freebie!!!! Money isn't all that crucial, but he is trying to get the long block done for under 3 grand. Oh machining is at cost lol.

Alright, it seems a shop called inline pro swears that all they do is take a stock gsr motor, throw one of there head gaskets on, and throw the boost to 14 to make 450 whp. I call bs, but they swear up and down. SOOO i figure we'll go with a gsr motor. Tear it down and throw in cp pistons, rods, all arp hardware with acl bearings. Have the block alighine honed, decked, o-ringed, honed, and other little things.

I hear ls cranks are stronger than gsr cranks.... is this true, if so is this nesiccary for our power levels?

The head will get a SLIGHT port and polish, valves, and a 3 angle valve job. Thinking MABEY itr cams and springs with titanium retainers. Think that would compliment boost?

Anyways, think that setup with probably 9:1 pistons could SAFLEY make 450 at the wheels on pump?:confused:

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a GSR with a block guard, ported head and a T3/T4 .63AR 57trim. Made 398 to the wheels at 14psi. What you've suggested doesnt sound that crazy. 17+psi and some Meth injection should do the trick safely on pump gas and the engine should hold up fine!!

A buddy of mine had a GSR with a block guard, ported head and a T3/T4 .63AR 57trim. Made 398 to the wheels at 14psi. What you've suggested doesnt sound that crazy. 17+psi and some Meth injection should do the trick safely on pump gas and the engine should hold up fine!!
I was figuring that we'd have to have sprayers. Hopefully do a setup like the ones that increase methanol as boost increases. :mellow: But on another note, think it can be done on an unsleeved motor
? Also forgot to mention that this will be a weekend car, so drivability isn't all that important.

Yeah but on pump? All the research i do peoples are using race gas, or half and half, or alky. I have been searching like mad on here and ht, but I'm just getting frustrated.

He's right :)

Another note, kinda on topic. Another friend of mine just bought a 94 civic hatch and he has a GSR motor in his shed waiting to go in it. We're going to either fab a turbo kit or buy a full race kit. He wants to just race it, just my style :D

Alright, sat down and had a talk with my friend last night. He has decided 100% on b18. Now. Again i have searched, and am still searching, i am learning alot but still. I shouldn't have to sleeve should i? He'd like to see at least 30,000 miles out of the motor before needing a rebuild.

If you sleeve it you might as well go for a set of pistons/rings and while you're at it, rods. Since all is free, WHY NOT???

Pulling the head and installing a multi layer headgasket is a LOT less work and you will STILL make plently of power with that motor. If you really want a project, then build it up and get a GT40R or larger turbo.

h22... no, no ryme no reason, just no. threads dead man. I figured it out anyways so all is good.

Back