Votes: 4 19.0%
  • $100,001-$500,000

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • $500,001-$1MM

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • $1MM+

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have $85k for myself and $10k for each of my children. I'm currently renting in Indiana but I own my home in Cali so I have no huge amount of debt other than what's left of my student loans, ~ $24k

This is through my employer and they take $1.70 a week out of my paycheck for this.

Have you looked into disability insurance? Incase you get hurt and can't work? I used to have one that covered me for 10x salary for a permanent disability and I think it paid bills incase of a short term disability

Yeah we get that through Aflac here at work.

My parents bought me a whole life 10k policy on me which has accrued up to 12,xxx now when i was like 5 and they are still paying for it as its like 100 bucks a year. I have no kids or spouse, and thus have no reason to carry any more. if i die, whatever isn't mine can settle to the state/bank that owns it/etc.

If i was in your position with a wife and small child, I'd be looking for short term (5 year) policies in the 500k range, not whole life

Prepare for wall o'text.

B's point makes sense for someone in his position in life...

Unfortunately, for things like retirement and legacies, we have to decide how we want to handle those issues when we're still practically kids - otherwise much of the benefit is lost.

What I mean is when you're 25 or 30 and have no kids, you don't see the necessity in leaving a legacy or the realize the dependency that others may have on you at some point. When you're 45 and have kids or when you're 65-70, have kids and grandkids, your perspective may change. By that time, the gig is up. You won't be able to leave a legacy through a life insurance policy - you'll have to have been considerably wealthy or have planned for excess money in your retirement fund to leave behind a legacy. Assuming you choose this privately funded route, you also must guess the correct time range that you'll die in and accurately predict your costs of living and medical care throughout retirement - otherwise you'll show up short at death's door step.

Term policies are great for people that need to address a gap for a period of time. I.e., you're 30, just married, just bought a new house and have a wife with a baby bump. You need $1mil to cover the house and your wife - but you're strapped for cash. You purchase a 30 year term policy, so that by the time the term policy expires, your family's exposure to the mortgage expense will be gone. The 30 year note will have presumably been paid off at this point. ...but you have no advantage of the death benefit, because the policy expires before you die.

You essentially rented or leased the car. (I know from years back, how everyone feels about renting here although I'm sure thats changed a bit with the recession). That's all fine and dandy if you're happy with returning the car and not having any equity.

If you want to pay additional and purchase the car, the whole life policy will give you that advantage. Now Ian, I would just invest the difference in stocks, you argue. To that I would say, that plan works if you can actually commit yourself to saving the money every month. 9 out of 10 people won't make that commitment for a prolonged period of time. (Obviously this is one of the reasons why homes were always Americans' nest eggs - because they required forced savings for 30 year periods of time) Also, just because you were to purchase a whole life policy doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue to invest additional money in asset classes. However, by investing in the life insurance policy, you're essentially investing in bonds with a death benefit. Therefore the life insurance policy gives you many of the same benefits you would have had from a "safe" bond investment (again, i'm sure perspectives are changed in regards to safe, after what just happened to the market) as well as the death benefit. The third major benefit you receive is the tax shelter benefit - that you would not receive with stocks/bonds. This is how wealthy individuals pass this businesses or inheritances along - in addition to trusts and other tools - without having Uncle Sam completely ruin them.

These are my ramblings after 36hours without sleep.

Full disclosure, I just left my profitable employment to pursue a career in the insurance field. I sell all sorts of commercial insurance policies to business owners and help them with their estate planning strategies - so my perspective will be different than the perspective of others who specialize in business to consumer life insurance sales.

My .02 cents.

We are going through open enrollment right now for extra life above the company provided 1x salary for life/ AD&D.

I was thinking about getting 50k to start as it had a $4 /m price tag to it. That would cover all my final expenses and any debt i had and leave some spending cash for the family to do something with... besides the house, which no one would need anyway, so give it to the bank. While I still don't have any spouse/dependents, I probably will in the near future. The kicker I missed was that this also covers dismemberment stuff. So, if i got hit by a truck and become an invalid, i'd be screwed even though I have 60% salary long term disability, it surely wouldn't be enough to maintain my life with the new medical bills and provide for hospice care or a home health aide, and then, i'd still need to pay for the house or other place to live too. Further, the fine print finally stood out to me... If I choose any plan, I can only up-value it by 10k a year at open enrollment time without a health screen (EOI). Meaning, it's best to buy the most you can while you're healthy. so, if i were to get the 50k plan today, i could only go to 60k then 70k then 80 by 2017 'easily'. It's less than $20 a month for 200k which the max benefit offered through this plan, plus my 1x salary, that would cover just about everything if i live, including my house, or leave a nice lump to my parents or likely soon to be spouse should i get hit by a bus and the house wouldn't be needed. There's some convertible options for when leaving the company/work changes providers for direct pay/etc as well into a whole life policy which will cost more.

There's no cash/value options with the plan, so it's a complete waste of money in reality. But it's $20 bucks I won't miss, and it's a small price to pay for a piece of mind to know that if I got hurt real f'ing bad, I'd be ok financially for at least a little while. the price tag is the same for 5 years (age brkt 35-40). 100k is under $10, but would take 10 years of upping to reach 200k. A lot can go wrong in 10 years for the total cost of $120/year. 1200 bucks to get 100,000 back if something goes wrong.... I spend almost the same on netflix :X

not an insurance guy but have you priced other options?
whats the price point?
50k = $4/month
100k = $10/month
200k=$20/month
what about higher limits?

200k is the most they offer as 'extra' through this 'benefit'. it's basically 9.6 cents per 1k of coverage per month.

state farm wants $5 more a month, met life wants $13 more, and it's just 10 year term life, no disability coverage (10 year is the lowest they offer to quote 200k amounts against). my work is basically 'while i work here' term). Going with the single provider will make it easy to file a claim too, as it's combined into one policy with my work supplied 1x for one lump payout.

It's not fixed though. It will go up as I get older (in 5 year gaps).

I can always cancel it next july and get something else. In the meantime, if I do croak or get fubar'ed by a mack truck, i'll be ok

It comes with a bunch of extras too which might come in handy.

What additional features should I know about?

Waiver of Premium Provision for Permanently and Totally Disabled Employees
If you are unable to work at any reasonable job (any which you are suited to perform due to education, training or experience), you may be eligible to have your life insurance coverage extended at no cost.

Accelerated Death Benefit Provision
You and your spouse may be eligible to receive up to 75% of your (combined basic and supplemental) life insurance coverage if diagnosed with a terminal or serious medical condition.

AD&D Ultra® Features
A benefit is paid to your surviving spouse/domestic partner or dependent children if you die in an accident.
Seatbelt/airbag benefits:
If you or your dependent die from a motor vehicle accident while wearing a seatbelt, a benefit is paid. An added benefit is paid if an airbag inflated.

Educational benefit:
For your spouse and each eligible dependent child under 23. Continues paying for college tuition for any child currently enrolled or a high school senior awaiting application response.

Childcare Benefit:
For each dependent child under 13 to help pay for childcare.

Repatriation of Mortal Remains:
If you or your dependent die in an accident 200 miles or more from home, a benefit will be paid to transport the body to your hometown funeral home.

Conversion
If your coverage ends or is reduced, you can convert your term life policy to a Whole Life Policy. You may convert your basic and/or supplemental coverage into a Whole Life Policy with rates based on your age at that time by paying premiums directly to Aetna.
Whole life insurance is generally more expensive than term insurance so a change in your premium may apply. You will have 31 days to convert your coverage without answering any medical questions.

Portability
If you leave your employer, you can take your term life plan with you. You have an additional option to conversion. You can continue your supplemental life insurance as a term policy by paying premiums directly to Aetna. Term insurance is generally less expensive than Whole Life insurance but your rates will increase as you reach higher age bands. You will have 31 days to convert or port your coverage without answering any medical questions.

Did you revive a 4 year old thread intentionally?

As far as life insurance, sometimes the "rule of thumb" is 10 years of income. That's what I used to sell. We would also try to cover all debt as well.

It's a fine line of getting enough to take care of your family and not so much your wife doesnt' think about killing you to run off with the mail man.

My mail man's an asshole. search for other threads on facebook about it. lol and yes, i bumped this up on purpose.

10 years of income would be a good number, if i had a family to take care of. I don't, yet.

If your not going to miss the $20 bucks a month then go for it. Otherwise it seems like a waste of money since you have no dependents or people responsible for your debt if your offed. I would just get burial expense insurance and just hope any injuries take place at work so your covered under workers comp ;)

I have 1x my salary from work for free and I pay $15.92 a month for $250k. Anything over 250k requires a health assessment.

It's enough so my wife can pay off the house and the cars and go on a vacation but not enough to get her to think about shooting me with my own guns or push me down the stairs while I am drunk. Not trying to make her a millionaire. :p No kids to worry about.

Mine has gone up since last time. I now have 1.5mm of coverage. Not quite 10 years of income, I never heard that stat before but it sounds reasonable. I guess I should increase it another 750k.. :\

I have 3 different term policies going on.
1. From work, maxed out to 600K in coverage. $30 a month.
2. Carried from previous employer, another 600K in coverage. $40 a month.
3. Another term policy from Knights of Columbus at 300K for $25 a month.

All of these are 20 year terms to cover up until my kids should be off to college or at least out of the house. :p

Not sure this approach is ideal or not? I've considered whole life policies but I feel I am unable to trust an insurance agent. They all seem like watch salesmen to me. lol

Insurance and Long term care are shit. they pray on people's emotions and pay MASSIVE commissions.

if you dont' have a family, you don't need life insurance. it's all just paying a fee with some poor sap "winning" the lottery and dying before the insurance coverage expires and he doesn't waste all that money on premiums.

Insurance and Long term care are shit. they pray on people's emotions and pay MASSIVE commissions.

if you dont' have a family, you don't need life insurance. it's all just paying a fee with some poor sap "winning" the lottery and dying before the insurance coverage expires and he doesn't waste all that money on premiums.
Agreed. I have a wife who doesn't work and two young kids.. :(

Yup, i don't disagree. It's playing the lottery with your life.

I'm more concerned with getting hurt/disabled (ie, a car wreck) and needing money to live than i am taking care of the family i don't have when i die. 60% pay doesn't go too far when it's nearly all going to the mortage/other bills, and that's before medical bills.
for $20, it's a small piece of mind.
I pay more a year cuz a 'waistress was nice' or 'homeless guy needs a meal bottle or whatever that gets me nothing

I will add however, when you are uber rich, a whole life policy has riders that shelter taxable gains. Buuuuutttt....that's a whole different conversation.

There's plenty of benefits to having a permanent policy especially for someone who has kids or plans to have kids.

Term has great benefits to address other issues that aren't lifelong (college tuition, mortgage, home equity loan, etc).

B's prices are good not great since they have the age bands. What is better is that it's portable for 31days without having to answer medical questions. Same with the whole life policy. If you get cancer and have to leave work, so long as you convert within 30 days, you'll still be insurance. That's a huge benefit. Waiver of premium is standard. The disability benefit and accelerated death benefit are nice features as well.

yeah, it's not bad. it goes up like 2 bucks the next 5 years, 10 the next. not until 60 does it really actually add up.

Back