Lifestyle change

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
Well, my life style has just taken a huge turn that will be for the better in the long run if I don't fuck it up. I'm going to do this extended cliff note style while my boss is in a meeting =D.

Sat. April 28 - Stressed out and decide to pickup my mom and visit some family 3 hours north to get away. Get 30 minutes from my destination and my transmission starts locking up while moving at 85mph. I sit on the side of the freeway for another 3 hours, get picked up by my brother with a car trailer and just head back home... So $75 (60 for brother's diesel, 15 for my gas) and my entire day later I'm back where I started, but with a problem.

Tues. May 1 - I get pulled into a meeting with two of my superiors and am informed I'm getting laid off with ridiculous reasoning by the company's owner. It is not due to work ethics because they offered me a better job with more responsibility. I turned down the other job and I'm taking the extra free paycheck and unemployment.

Today I'm going to sign up for a couple classes. I plan on working part time and taking it easy for this semester. After this semester I'm going to take my SAT and go back to a full time student. It's about time I relax for a bit anyhow considering my depression and anxiety, that shit takes a toll. It's all good, I live at home still and have WAY fewer problems than I could have. Friday is my last day.

I'm going from working 50 hours a week and stashing away money to a broke college student again. Hopefully I won't fuck it up and take the easy route again. I do have two questions, though. Would any of you recommend an online course for SAT prep? Also, would filing for unemployment look bad on my record to any of you as an employer? Everyone in upper management here loves me and will give me a positive review if someone calls them.
Probably sloppy as hell, may call for some editing when I have time.

Last edited:
first, you might get denied for unemployment because they offered you a better position and you turned them down

second, why are you taking the SAT's?
if you've been taking classes already and have a decent GPA you shouldn't need to take the SAT's
thats a headache you can do without cause the SAT's really don't mean shit if you've already been in college, or you're trying to get into a hard school

They "offered" me the job. They said if I don't take it, I'll get a free paycheck and they'll allow unemployment to follow through.

I go to a community college atm, IRCC. It was one of the top three community colleges in the united states last year, but it's still a community college. I want to take my SAT to get into a university and start all over. Some sort of scholarship it wouldn't hurt either =P.

There's no unemployment stigma that I'm aware of... You pay into that, you might as well get it back.

definately no unemployment stigma
but there are rules regarding full time students and unemployment, play your cards right y0

i would apply to transfer your CC credits to the university of your choice so you don't lose credits, and you definately shouldn't have to take the SAT's if you have been doing decent in CC classes
i'm just trying to save you the headache and hassle of the SAT's, and the SAT prep class fees
waste of time unless you get denied entry to the univ of your choice

Unemployment is natural for the economy. If we had 0% unEmp, no one would be doing what you're doing - trying to get a better job. There shouldn't be any reason for employers to frown on collecting unEmp for periods of time.

As recked said, if you're at a college currently you shouldn't need SATs to get into another school. Your GPA should serve the same purpose.

I took my SATs and went to a community college for two years, then transferred out to a very highly respected school.

Call the admissions office of whatever school you're interested in attending and ask them if you need to take the SATs. I would venture a guess that any highly competitive school, my school for instance, will probably want your SATs along with your highschool transcript and college transcript but you should find out what the particular college you're interested in will require before you blow $400 on a SAT prep course.

Call the admissions office of whatever school you're interested in attending and ask them if you need to take the SATs. I would venture a guess that any highly competitive school, my school for instance, will probably want your SATs along with your highschool transcript and college transcript but you should find out what the particular college you're interested in will require before you blow $400 on a SAT prep course.
:werd:
i did 2 years at community college, then transfered to the best state school for business
i was on a joint program so i knew i wouldn't lose any credits when i transferred
poor mans college plan FTW!

do a google search for the school that you want to transfer. For example I went to UW-Stout and googled Stout Admission Requirements and got the following result. I am assuming most schools follow this same rule of thumb.

UW-Stout [Admission Requirements]

If you have a year's worth of Community college credits then you would qualify as a transfer student as long as you had a gp of 2.5 or higher for most programs except teaching.

I would definately look into a split program so that you can complete your required classes for cheaper than you could at the college. Then when you transfer you will be gaurenteed that all credits transfer to your new school.

Back