Light Bulb conspiracies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Its 4 in the mornin and this video is nearly an hour long and I dont have the time for that.
I said the same thing at the time, I watched about 8 mins of it. I was like Damn, this is cool but fuuuuuuuck. *passed out*
I'll watch it later. lol :p

just finished it
entertaining i guess
nothing really new or ground breaking in it at all

cliffs:
we live in a disposable society
shit is engineered with a shelf life in mind and is designed to fail
we ship our shit out to be dumped in third world countries so we dont have to look at it
consumerism is destroying us

:shrug2:

Lightbulbs are dirt cheap to make.

If I were GE and I made lightbulbs, a great way to ELIMINATE my competition would be to petition my government to make the manufacture of basic bulbs completely Illegal... which has just happened in the USA.

Now B & E cannot manufacture lightbulbs in their basement, and Im stuck buying from GE.

Just watched this.

2 Things:

#1 - nobody forces you to buy anything. If you buy something cheap and it breaks, then you got what you paid for. It isnt impossible to buy things that have decent shelf lives.

#2 - Did AlGore direct this movie? Holy environmental propaganda!

no you are correct it makes no sense

This is a typical liberal response to a serious problem. Consider the flow in the other direction though. Really it is the consumer that drives consumerism. So, perhaps people buy cheap light bulbs (or other goods) because they can afford them, or because they just don't want to spend $137 for a light bulb that will last 30 years. Also, if you had bought lifetime light bulbs 20 years ago, you would look like a dick with your crappy yellow lighting. We understand that rapid technological advancement often produces better alternatives. Buying cheap and disposable allows us to make easy transitions to better goods without eating those enormous opportunity costs.

and when you accidentally break one, it would suck to buy a 100 dollar bulb vs a 2 dollar bulb

i think the main concept here is that they can make a light bulb last a lot longer for approx the same cost, potentially even cheaper if they don't waste all that r&d money to make things self destruct

Back