light flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wilshire

Big WIll
does a lighter flywheel really make that much of a difference, acceleration wise?

:yes:

Pullies don't make much of a difference- but if you do get them, get the lighter mass pulleys that are standard size, not the underdrives.

sorry, my bad. that's what i ment. and the main crank pully while i'm thinking about it.

actually, according to import tuner, you can remove the harmonic dampner on 4 cylinders. |6's is where you have to watch out. Then again i've read some people having issues w/ bearings and such and attributed it to no harmonic dampner.

There's also a product available from ATI engineering that has a super dampner built in, if you really still wanted it.
Google ATI super damper & Horschel Motorsports Original fluid dampners.

none the less, you could under drive all the pullies attached to your peripherials such as power steering, etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong. It's only what i've read.

Since Honda engines are externally balanced, you may only replace the harmonic dampener a.k.a crank pulley with another harmonic balancer. As YBLEGAL mentioned, ATI as well as Horschel Motorsports produce performance harmonic dampeners for the B16 which I believe are much better than stock. They sell street versions (stock diameter with room for all belts), or racing versions (underdriven; 1 belt slot for alternator).

Welcome to ATI Performance Products.com
HONDA DAMPERS BY FLUIDAMPR

As for using underdrive pulleys, check underdrive percentages. Unorthodox Racing's accessory underdrive pulleys (not the crank pulley) underdrive each accessory individually but are (said to) still produce their factory rated output. However, this maynot hold true for all manufacturers of underdrive pulleys.

Lastly, I would just like to say that upgrading to light-weight pulleys (crank or accessory) will increase HP/TQ across the RPM range, peaking at high RPM as well as allowing for slightly quicker throttle response due to less rotational mass. However, HP/TQ will be slightly sad--- somewhere in the range of 1-7HP and /or FT/LBS of TQ. The throttle response also will most likely NOT be noticeable, but it still exists. IMO, I would only buy new pulleys and harmonic dampener if your trying to squeeze every ounce of power from a naturally aspirated engine or a high-boost turbo engine with nothing left to do.

Last edited:
Yes, there are better than stock harmonic dampeners out there, but I wouldn't delete it completely.

YB, you have it backwards- an inline 6 is inherently balanced- an inline 4 is not. The I-6 is a MUCH smoother engine configuration than the I-4.

Lighter weight pullies = :thumbsup:
Underdrives = :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

x2 on the fly......love my ACT one

Back