light weight crank pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by KFBhonda@Jan 9 2004, 04:57 AM
isn't there a pulley that is available for purchase that does include the harmonic balancer but doesn't power anything except the alternator?

Yes, there are a few.

fluidyne makes one, this is one that Energy Dynamics has been testing and plans to use in the future.

ATI makes another, about 3lbs
http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/prod...s/damimport.htm

You can always machine off the AC/PS section of your stock pulley and have it rebalanced. However, you have to leave some of the PS rib, as the pulse dampener is the high compressed rubber inbetween the alternator and PS ribs. IE: You need to leave enough PS section to keep the rubber in place.

after all this i think i'm gonna go ahead and keep the stock one....lol....but i appreciate almost all the responses....so please don't feel as if you waisted your time because the responses are what i based my decision on....so thanks all

Originally posted by typesiracing@Jan 9 2004, 09:01 PM
after all this i think i'm gonna go ahead and keep the stock one....lol....but i appreciate almost all the responses....so please don't feel as if you waisted your time because the responses are what i based my decision on....so thanks all

no problem. this is what the argueing/persistant answers are all about.

Harmonic Balancers will be found on a domestic. Granted, the rubber will help absorb some, but not a life blood. Nothing is Balanced by anything but a balance shaft. I have had my Unorthodox kit on for two years of daily abuse with not one side effects. Solid Aluminum, no rubber. If you want one get one. The side loading from cracked rubber in an old OEM pully is worse and more off balance than a new Ultralight. Take a close look on an older car and watch the run-out on the pulley- horrible. I've heard all of the hype, and must admit I believed it- made sense on paper...but proof has shown me otherwise.

ive seen enough first hand to the contrary to bother with them
if you got lucky then congrats ... more power to ya

well i have an aunorthodox crank pully on my car witch has been on my car for about 2 yrs now i have not had any problem out of it... i went through the same stories about getting one, and i hards that they can hurt your motor. i ended up talking to a friend that ran one for two yrson his car, and he loved his.. "but there not for every one" :ph34r:

Back