light weight engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

My friend has this insane idea of making an open air race car (MR). We were discussing on what type of engine to use. I suggested to use the D series cause were looking to get about 120hp but keep it light!(1200-1600lbs) He wants to use some motorcycle engine but im not to sure on that one or like a cheapo geo storm engine. He said with the moto engine you create some sort of gear on the axle and use the entire engine and tranny mounted in the back?!?
Ok heres my questions,
1. Would a motorcycle engine work?
2. How much does a D16z6 weigh?
3. Is there any other light engine out there that can produce about 120hp?

Thanks for the help and I hope this project sees the daylight!

D15A3 (1st gen CRX) with dual 40-45 mm weber side draft's

or add a small turbo.....

sounds like you guys need to get into karting, they have an expirment class that you just take a shifter frame and can put anything on as long as its no bigger than a 400cc, but if you guys are just building something for fun, then cool deal, there are tons of classes, I forget there is one that uses toyota 4 bangers in an indy style cart. but good luck with your project, keep us posted if I were you I would just swing by the junk yard and see what they got laying around, keep your eye out for a cheap 4 banger that runs and then drop it in, slap a baby turbo on it, and you should be able to get 120 out of her with a little tweeking, but if you ask me, the motor is the least of your worrys, I would first be worrying about frame and drivetrain

i found a suzuki gsxr 1000 in the desert, too bad some dumb ass shot the head, fuckin it up for good. my friend and i were thinkin of making a shifter kart with that engine...it would have been bad ass!

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 10 2003, 12:28 PM
you need a lightweight engine
get a rotary

and then try to find a transmission to hook it up to. <_<

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Dec 10 2003, 12:38 PM
There are adapter plates (well, no shit; but actually in stock) for all sorts of VW trannies.

vw makes rotaries?

and Fear and Loathing = gonzo drug use!

:p

no .... what he is saying is that for most non-honda engines you can get adapter plates to fit just about any other tranny you want FWD or RWD

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 10 2003, 01:41 PM
no .... what he is saying is that for most non-honda engines you can get adapter plates to fit just about any other tranny you want FWD or RWD

ahhh...
now i see

Fear and Loathing is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. Up there with The Big Lebowski and Snatch. Sorry for post whoring. :(

He wants to make a custom frame cause he just learned how to weld and feels better doing it from scratch. We really dont want to use turbo in this. Hes pretty much the mastermind of this project im just there to learn but feedback from others is nice. How would the motorcycle engine work? Im still confused and my friends drawings look like a fourth grader did it. Would that gear idea work?

Oh yeah whats with the adapter plates? It confused me so much! What goeas on what?

A Hayabusa motor would be best, 1300 cc's.

I knew of a site that sold conversion kits for the Hayabusa motor to go into an Elise, but i forgot it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Dec 10 2003, 04:32 PM
Check this out
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issue...ulahayabusa.htm

These are the sickest things I've ever seen, and I'm gonna build a scaled down version of this that I can drive on the road, fully enclosed cockpit.

kinda like one of these???

blue_PS.gif

No, with a bubble cockpit, kind of like the fully fared bicycle they use for speed records. The lines are going to be real smooth. I'm going to get a smaller motor too, so I can be classified as streetlegal. More for commuting than for racing. I'm going to go for 150 mpg, going 65-70.

almost any sport bike 600-1000cc motor would work. there are some turbo kits for the motors on sport bike, those would help get you to or over 120hp. if you want to keep it lightweight, dont use a car motor. the transmission on a d-series is probally twice or more as heavy as a motorcyle transmission(plus most sport bike trannys are 6-spd vs. honda 5 spd.). also the transmission on car motors are usually h-patterns vs. sequential on motorcylces.

Have you ever heard of Formula SAE for colleges? Here they use a CRB 600 engine and then build a open wheeled car around it. I belive that they use the stock transmission and just make it a live axle.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Dec 10 2003, 06:29 PM
Have you ever heard of Formula SAE for colleges? Here they use a CRB 600 engine and then build a open wheeled car around it. I belive that they use the stock transmission and just make it a live axle.

??? more info

Back