Light weight Wheels YO!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if you read the specs it's an aluminum wheel with a 3mm layer of carbon fiber.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Feb 10 2004, 10:06 PM
yeah that's ghey- sorta defeats the purpose of using carbon fiber ya know-

not really, because CF is lighter then alluminum i think. and using CF to take up the extra space that they would normally use alluminum for, would make the wheel lighter as a whole, while still retaining structure.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Feb 10 2004, 11:28 PM
oh and wrong forum, :moved:

Dude, this doesn't belong here, it was me just point out the new ricer thing (notice the sizes availible)

hmm, i suppose you're right GSRCRXsi- but doesn't that depend on how think the CF actually is- i was under the impression that it was just a skin?

You can tell that these wheels are just for show and have no real performance in mind just by the size. They are 17x7 is there smallest size. That is just narrow.

Ub3r t3h f00king gh3y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ghey:

bling blang blauuuuuugggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats it .... im gunna start wearing my CF leg brace again ... ill be the envy of ricers everywhere
"dAmN y0! h0w'D y0u tRikk 0uT t3h l3g y0!?!?!?!?!"
i'll make millions $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 11 2004, 12:05 AM

thats it .... im gunna start wearing my CF leg brace again ... ill be the envy of ricers everywhere

:lmao: .

:puke: wheels

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Feb 10 2004, 11:26 PM-->
Slammed90Lude
@Feb 10 2004, 10:06 PM

not really, because CF is lighter then alluminum i think. and using CF to take up the extra space that they would normally use alluminum for, would make the wheel lighter as a whole, while still retaining structure.

that makes no sence at all. there's no need for an extra 3mm of aluminum,
someone just found a way to layer some carbon fiber on a set off off the shelf rims and make them look custom. it's a gimmick to sell rims.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Feb 11 2004, 10:26 AM-->
Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Feb 10 2004, 11:26 PM
Slammed90Lude
@Feb 10 2004, 10:06 PM

that makes no sence at all. there's no need for an extra 3mm of aluminum,
someone just found a way to layer some carbon fiber on a set off off the shelf rims and make them look custom. it's a gimmick to sell rims.

i know that these wheels are like that, just a gimick, but im saying, if you wanted to, and were serious about it, you could use CF for a rim. i dont know CF properties all that well but i think it could be used for a rim (smaller, and weight advantage in mind of course), seems pleny strong enough.

Carbon Fiber has a Modulous of about 9x10^6 in a bending mode like a canterlever beam, but has a differrent Modulous ~ 15x10^6 when loaded torsionally. that's ist's properties when used as a U-channel beam.
Carbon Fiber's Modulous changes with the type of cionstruction it's put into , now a Rim as complex as it is, man you'd need to do a good FEA to even determine if it's a usable material.

yeah it's really light weight, but I don't know if you could make/form it to perform well in all 3 axes

ive seen FULL CF wheels for motorcycles
but thats a different setup and different stressload than what would be encountered in a car

yeah in a motor cycle your pretty much always putting a verticle load on the wheel, unless your in a pretty nasty corner and then you have to deal with
forces in all 3 axes. and then your still loading the wheel pretty much as if the bike were upright.

totally diferent with a car.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 11 2004, 01:05 AM

haha i have a friend i went to hs iwth, he has one leg. He has a fake leg (top of knee down) and he had a carbon fiber ones....it was TEH SHEeET!

Back