1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lightening the vehicle

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by divisii, Jul 28, 2006.

1. divisii

divisii Member

So anyone have an idea of what makes for good weight savings?

I know smaller alloy wheels are on the list.

What's the weight savings with a carbon hood .. fiberglass?

...rear deck (or hatch)?

...pwr steering & a/c are the 1st to go, then interior .. anything besides that?

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

go on a diet, fatty.

3. divisii

divisii Member

why hadn't I thoughta that! Damn that's the prob. .. sob
    nice! hahaaa

4. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

well that is defently one factor. F1 drivers are tiny people for a reason. My buddy has a new mazdaspeed 6 and when he drives it, it feels slow, mainly because he weighs like 300lbs.

For weight reduction, don't waste your money on a CF hood which most of the time does't drop too much weight, buy a bike and start pedaling your ass off.

As for the car, it depends on how comfortable you want it to be. Strip all the interior, remove the sound deading tar under the carpet (use dry ice) Buy an iPod nano and ditch all your speakers and your receivers (don't forgot the wireing harnesses). Get a good towing package from your insurance company and ditch the spare tire and tools. Remove any extra brackets that aren't needed (for ps, ect) If you don't already have a header, pick one up. The oem cast iron ones weigh a shit load. Don't care about turning? remove your sway bars. Ditch all the seats except for a light weight aftermarket driver seat. Switch out glass for lexan. If you really have some money, there is a company that sells carbon fiber doors (wouldn't do unless you have a cage with some door bars) Remove any extra wireing that isn't directly used for engine function. Cruise control, throw out. Buy light weight hood, hatch, ect. Light weight rear LCA's. Really sky (as well as cash) is the limit.

5. divisii

divisii Member

asmallsol..yeah, lexan on the rear panels, & good 1 on iPod. Um 150lbs for me ..
    DX checks in minus power locks, swaybar, center consol, moonroof, cruise control, spare tire cover ..
    about 2600lb with me & my 8yearold. It's my "family car" you see. I'm using base radio & 15" alloys. If I run my short ram it shaves a pound or 2.
    Can't do the header until I swap out the whole exhaust for an EX .. the Cat is integrated into manifold. California fixit tickets are a hassle.

6. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

its a family car!?!?!.. just leave it alone..

7. don_radeon

don_radeon Bored

Carpeting, stero, and seats are all-together about 250 pounds easily.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted