Lightening Up A Flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

auggiereg

I don't think that I could afford to buy a 8 to 10 lb flywheel so I was wondering if it would be possible to shave off a fair amount of weight from the stock flywheel to help out a little? If anyone knows how much the stock flywheel on a D15B7 engine weighs it would help out a bunch. Thanks for all of your info and feedback.

yes it can be done .... there are several places to get it done
its not something you can do yourself
unless you have a machine shop and the ability to balance it
for a D15B7 its really not worth it to be honest

I don't know how much all the civic flywheels weigh, but I've turned down 3 of them for my buddy's Del Sols and I THINK one from a Civic. No idea what year, model, or engine, but they start out weighing in around 17 lbs. I was able to take them down to 13.6 lbs....I could take off more, but we're gonna stay on the safe side until he tries one out. Then I found out that the flywheel from my B20A5(3rd gen lude) weighed 20.7 lbs....took that baby down to 16.5, so I was all like "WOOHOO, 'n shit." I HAVE been balancing them, btw. Closer than what Honda themselves do, actually. FYI, I think machine shops charge about $70 to get 'er done. *shrugs* I guess if anyone in the Minneapolis area wants their's done, I'd turn 'em down for about $40 a pop.
Hope this helps.....p.s. sorry if I broke any rules with the whole "advertisement" thing.

the important thing is to balance the flywheel if you are getting it shaved down in weight, I know B series flywheel can be taken down to 11.5lbs. And also replace the bearing on the flywheel.

Milan

Back