Lightweight Flywheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

I'm looking to upgrade my clutch on the b16a/91 crx SI project.
I want a Stage 2 Kevlar clutch with a lightweight flywheel(I like Fidanza's).
One kit online(Ebay) has what I want, but it is a 7.5lb flywheel...

Is there much difference between this and the 8/8.8 Fidanza Flywheels?

Thanks
-Andrew

having a light flywheel helps you increase revs faster, but it also increases the rate of loss to. A lightened flywheel is good if you are going to stay NA. I have heard of good results from the Jun flywheel but I personally don't have one.

the lightest you can find isn't always better. for road racing and autocross where you will be downshifting and such very quickly and need the immediate response it is recommended to get a fairly light flywheel.

for dragracing you will find a more pleasing result with something around 11-13 pounds. that way you rettain inertia for you launch and can get better 60' times

Quoted post[/post]]
the lightest you can find isn't always better.

Thats exactly why I posted. :)
I'll be doing a mix of everything..mostly street driving and drag{no track runs, just playing with friends}, so I think I'll want a flywheel just a little heavier than that 7.5... like an 8.8 lb

ty guys
-Andrew

Quoted post[/post]]
A lightened flywheel is good if you are going to stay NA.

I am going to be N/A for now, but I plan on boosting it in a year or so, so I'll want a lightweight for now.
Like I said, I'm thinking 8.8 or so.

Honestly I would suggest a 10 pound FW. Especially since you plan on boosting later.

I personally had an 8lber while stock and boosted. I never stalled but I would have perferred a heavier one. It wasn't even that bad to drive, it just got annoying.

what would be the benefits to having a heavier one under boost. wouldn't a lighter one get you out of the rpm range that were lag would occur?

Quoted post[/post]]
what would be the benefits to having a heavier one under boost. wouldn't a lighter one get you out of the rpm range that were lag would occur?

Thats what I keep thinking... as I've heard both sides, lighter or heavier FW's for turbos.

Originally posted by 'Blanco'
It doesn't make any sense to buy two flywheels.

I can always just sell the lightweight one if I choose to exchange it for a heavier one IF/when I turbo it.

I'm thinking anywhere from 8.5-11 lbs now. Whatever catches my eye first.
-Andrew

I have an ACT Prolite 8.8lb flywheel in my car, and I friggin love it. There's no loss of power at launch at all. In fact I would say it's easier for me to get off the line quicker, and more consistently, than it was with that 13lb stock steel wheel. I would never go back for any money.

Yes it's a little easier to stall, so you will want to be careful in traffic, and give the car in front of you a 20 foot head start so you don't rear end them when you take off, but once you get used to how you have to start out, it's a breeze.

And of course, the reduced drag on your drivetrain is so noticeable that you can't help but grin.

Mine was $220 on Ebay.

I went from the stock to an 8lb aasco flywheel. I have had zero issues with stalling out, problems in traffic, or launching. Launch control on the ecu makes it much easier tho :), set it and forget it... Just make sure you get a brand name lightweight flywheel, and don't just lighten yours. You want to make sure that your passenger doesn;t get shrapnel in his crotch when your lightened stocker decides to fly apart. It took me zero time to adjust from the stock flywheel. There was an instant grin on my face when I revved from idle to 5500 in probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the time it took with the stock fw.

Back