1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited Slip Differential

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Sirhc2013, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Sirhc2013

Sirhc2013 Member

Can someone explain the way this works I still can't understand this concept.

2. eyesonlybob

eyesonlybob Senior Member

you take a fast turn in a car without lsd: naturally on a right turn more weight of the car is on the left side, and power to the wheels is 50-50

you take a right turn in a lsd equipt car, power to the wheels shifts to say 40-60 so the wheel with more weight on it puts out more power. eh, i think that explains it.

3. 88LXi68

88LXi68 Member

I think you are wrong. An LSD means both wheels will spin "50-50" no matter what the driving condition. This gives better traction. An open differential means that power is given to the wheel that spins more freely. This isnt good for drag racing or any type of autox.

4. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

wtf?

go to www.howstuffworks.com and learn

when you go around a turn with a limited slip it applies more power to the wheel that is not "slipping"

5. DA69

DA69 Senior Member

yeah you could have 50-50 with a ghetto lsd. like a non-lsd unit that you welded the spyder gears in :lol: . common man when you have lsd and you turn, 1 wheel turns slower than the other. so power is distributed in a 60-40 manner. if it was 50-50, one wheel would be chirping the whole time you were turning. trust me we did it to a mazda glc wagon(ghetto lsd) and taking corners sux. :blink:

6. eyesonlybob

eyesonlybob Senior Member

eh, i tried to explain too much, i ment what pills said

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted