Limited Slip Differential

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sirhc2013

Can someone explain the way this works I still can't understand this concept.

you take a fast turn in a car without lsd: naturally on a right turn more weight of the car is on the left side, and power to the wheels is 50-50

you take a right turn in a lsd equipt car, power to the wheels shifts to say 40-60 so the wheel with more weight on it puts out more power. eh, i think that explains it.

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Jun 7 2003, 08:04 PM
you take a fast turn in a car without lsd: naturally on a right turn more weight of the car is on the left side, and power to the wheels is 50-50

you take a right turn in a lsd equipt car, power to the wheels shifts to say 40-60 so the wheel with more weight on it puts out more power. eh, i think that explains it.

I think you are wrong. An LSD means both wheels will spin "50-50" no matter what the driving condition. This gives better traction. An open differential means that power is given to the wheel that spins more freely. This isnt good for drag racing or any type of autox.

Originally posted by 88LXi68+Jun 8 2003, 09:35 AM-->
eyesonlybob
@Jun 7 2003, 08:04 PM

I think you are wrong. An LSD means both wheels will spin "50-50" no matter what the driving condition. This gives better traction. An open differential means that power is given to the wheel that spins more freely. This isnt good for drag racing or any type of autox.

yeah you could have 50-50 with a ghetto lsd. like a non-lsd unit that you welded the spyder gears in :lol: . common man when you have lsd and you turn, 1 wheel turns slower than the other. so power is distributed in a 60-40 manner. if it was 50-50, one wheel would be chirping the whole time you were turning. trust me we did it to a mazda glc wagon(ghetto lsd) and taking corners sux. :blink:

Back