linkage oh no

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondababy

I have a loose linkage on my 95 civic. I am currently replacing the rack and pinion. When I was seeing how to remove the linkage fron the transmission, the linkage slid out with little effort and not removing anything. A shaft with a raised line down it is coming out of the tranny. How bad is this and how do I fix it? Please help!

This is called the 'bitch pin' because its a bitch to get out. its just tapped in place with like a screw driver and hammer.

O I c. It is a bitch. I went n bought the 8mm punch it only seems to get stuck (since its tappered) I dont have much room tho. Elivate the car n keep hammering?

I used a 4mm, screw driver n hammer but I can c that it is misshapened. I had it removed b4 by someone else didnt use new pin. Keep hammering? Thank u for ur response. Atleast I know im doing right.

perty much, i finally got tired of dealing with them and made my own tool with an air hammer,10 seconds tops.lol

if you need to get the old pin out drill it and when you want to put it back together find a small skinny bolt and nut and slid it int the hole this is what we do everytime!!

yeah cuz fuck doing it the right way :disgust1:

REMOVING STUBBORN ROLL PINS WITH A TOOL THAT YOU CAN BUILD YOURSELF - YouTube

The pin type is a Roll Pin or Rolled Pin. Above link is an example of a removal tool. larger than you need, but a good example.

I made up one using a standard U-Bolt and a piece of flat stock with three holes in it. The two outboard holes for the U-bolt and the center hole threaded for a 1/4" bolt that is ground down to fit the pin. The amount of impact force it takes to remove them was a concern to me. The concern that it could hog out the hole in the aluminum transmission case. The U-Bolt was 3/8" or so and drilled at the apex so the pin can travel through it.

If I could find the tool, I would post you a picture of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply. I feel dumb yet educated lol. I used a shaft to a broken lock. Where theres a will theres a way :) thanx again

Thank you for the quick reply. I feel dumb yet educated lol. I used a shaft to a broken lock. Where theres a will theres a way :) thanx again
The first time I pulled the one in my '91 hatcback was when I pulled the D16A6 out for the swap. Hammered on it for a while, then figured it would hog out the hole in the tranny, so I dropped the linkage at the shifter and pulled the engine/tranny with the linkage hanging from the tranny. Then removed it by driving it from the top down with a block of wood under it supporting it and absorbing the impact shock from the tranny case.

Then, came the tool.

Holy Christ.. please don't drill it and replace it with a bolt/nut it will ALWAYS have more play than before.

I tried using a metric punch pin also but what worked for me was a regular old Honda bolt. Yes, hitting a bolt with a hammer to drive the pin out. I think it's an 8mm bolt, one with a tapered head.

first time i ever did a swap, i did what dual stated above, just pulled it out with the drive train lol. then i got tired of hammering, and drilled out the old pin and replaced with new. screw trying to hammer those bastards out. i had to remove the shifter out of my subaru a little while back. it had two fucking pins in it. one pin inside of the other. no room to drill (yay awd trans) and zero room to make a press of sorts. had to have a buddy sit in the car and hold the shifter to one side to even get the pin at an accessible angle. otherwise the driveshaft and exhaust were in the way.

It seriously took me two minutes to take it out with a hammer and bolt.

But at least you didn't replace it with a nut and bolt; the previous owner of mine did that and I could move the shifter an inch and a half left and right without the tranny actually moving from neutral. I was against the consul and could barely shift into 5th or reverse, it was horrid. I put a factory pin in it and the tranny has NO play without tension.

Back