Linksys WRT54G

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Just letting people know about my experience with this router.

I initially bought it because you know, its Linksys. I didnt know much about routers or anything and a lot of people seemed to recommend it. It worked very well at first and then suddenly my internet came to a crawl. I thought it was the line, but when I connected directly to the modem, it was fast and everything was dandy. I began to think, this thing is a piece of $hi+.

Turns out that this router and practically other ones from Netgear don't like bittorrent too much. Too many connections and it overloads or something. So every few days, I would had to do hard reset on both the modem and router. Finally, after 6-7 months, Linksys came out with a new firmware. It helped, but eventually it succummed after about 2 months of heavy bittorrenting :-D.

I started researching into alternatives then I came across Linksysinfo.org. I browsed around and saw that Thibor 15c seemed to fix a lot of peoples problems and stayed to the original firmware as close as possible with a lot of neat stuff like bridging mode, QoS, additional firewall features, etc... Needless to say, I love it so far.

I will do some runs with wifi and see if my connection drops like it did with the original and do more heavy p2p and see if it will bring it down on its knees. But for now, Thibor 15c + WRT54G V.4 or below = STABILITY

yeah my boss did some firmware flash to upgrade the router to a linux OS and etc. ill get some detail on it. it looks wicked cool.

if you have a wrt54g flash it with DD-WRT mines been up and running for 90+ days, only reason it hasn't been running longer is that the power went out. If it's a v4 or wrt54gl you flash the firmware just like a normal linksys upgrade. if it's a v5 it's a tad bit more involved but well worth it.

check it out here
DD-WRT

I got a Linksys RTP300; I pretty much have to run it because my D-Link crapped out and I need the phone service. The router was provided by Vonage, and right now, I'm trying to have it replaced. The internet disconnects, sometimes the phone doesn't work right, and it slows my internet down. I know it's not the connection, because when I hook the modem up to my computer it goes pretty fast, and the VoIP network is fine because my neighbor, who also has VoIP, rarely ever has any problems(they're not using a VoIP router, but instead a VoIP modem).

My cousin that lives down the street has always had problems with his Linksys also(mainly it disconnecting and slowing things down). He's on his 3rd Linksys router right now, but I think it's working fine(can't say the same about the prior two).

*Heh, while I was typing that, my internet disconnected.

See if your routers support 3rd party firmware. For now, I can say its a lot better than the official ones. I also heard that the newer Linksys routers suck.

if you have a wrt54g flash it with DD-WRT mines been up and running for 90+ days, only reason it hasn't been running longer is that the power went out. If it's a v4 or wrt54gl you flash the firmware just like a normal linksys upgrade. if it's a v5 it's a tad bit more involved but well worth it.

check it out here
DD-WRT

thats it!!!

Yeah DD-WRT and HyperWRT are the two more popular ones that are free.. Im using the latter and its been prefect and its as close to OEM as possible, how I like it. Its JDM OEM-style. haha.

Besides, I dont need all the other fancy stuff because I dont online game and I dont have a vast network or anything except two desktops sharing media....

Back