Linux Help Please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Ok, since my computer crashed a few months back, I decided to abandon Microsoft all together and go the Unix route. My Sifu from kung fu was a computer tech, so he helped me install it and get started. I'm really happy with my choice so far, and even though the learning curve is pretty steep, I'm figuring things out slowly and learning a lot about computers in the process.

I'm running into a bit of difficulty with getting my sound card configured. I have a Dell PC so I think it's integrated in there somehow, and he said its there, but it just needs to be recognized and configured. Can someone help me do this? :confused:

You need to find the driver for it. For the model of your motherboard to see what chipset it is running and search for the drivers.

If ya were to look up the specs for ya PC online, like at dells website it would give u what your sound card is... Just look for the linux drivers online and install them, restart, simple as cake..Hell I mite have them let me know what model dell you have

Type this:

lspci

That should give you all you need.

to clarify, linux is not unix.

and to directly target the sound card info type
lspci | grep Multimedia

yay yay.. Unix linux .. same thing to me... they are totaly diffrent yes, but built almost the same....:p

Oh, well, sorry about saying it wrong. My Sifu uses them interchangibly most of the time. I have Linux. I'll give that stuff a try. I think I have the Dell Dimension 2400, or something like that. Man, it's been a while since I was setting everything up with all the specs on what my system is, not sure if I can remember. I'm still struggling uphill to learn this stuff.

to clarify, linux is not unix.

and to directly target the sound card info type
lspci | grep Multimedia

Just curious, what is in between lspci and grep? I may be asking a stupid question, but I don't know how to type that thing.

Here is what came up for Multimedia Audio Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller

So, is it just the "ac '97" part that I pay attention to?

not even close dude.....

Um ya I am actually... Linux is built of unix... Yes they are totally different. But they do share similarlys is what I was trying to say. If you know Unix then ya probably know allot about linux as well... all im saying is they are some what similar... not toalty but somewhat... lol

as for the So, is it just the "ac '97" part that I pay attention to?

Ya m8

Just curious, what is in between lspci and grep? I may be asking a stupid question, but I don't know how to type that thing.

Here is what came up for Multimedia Audio Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller

So, is it just the "ac '97" part that I pay attention to?

lspci and grep are two different things. lspci lists the major devices attached to the system... video cards, controllers, soundcards, etc. Now what grep does is find the word or piece of text you query it for out of a huge pile of text. It filters out everything but that one line.

So lspci | grep Multimedia would run the lspci command, then the pipe passes that to grep, which in turn searches for Multimedia and displays that line. The grep command along with the cut command can be very useful when combined like that :)

The command line is a very powerful tool.

Your driver will be the standard AC97 driver. If you're compiling your own kernel, go under Sound -> PCI Devices -> and enable the driver that says something along the lines of "Intel/VIA/SiS/nVidia AC97 Audio"

Ok, that helped a ton! So, how do I get to the kernel to enable the AC97 driver. I think I've ran into it before, but like I said, it's been a little while and I'm not too keen on remembering all this.

Oh, and thanks a lot guys, this is helping so much. Now I think I need to get a good video card and some more RAM. Sifu said that my computer is actually pretty good. I have a Pentium 4 processor and I can't remember the other thing, and a 160G hard drive, but only 256 megs of ram, so it could definitely be faster. I think I want to put a DVD drive on it when I get a little cash so I can watch movies and stuff. I'm not really into the whole "computer" thing, but I do like a good working machine.

Back