Linux vs. Windows; CarPC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Right now the PC takes about 2-3min to completely boot up, too long for me. They need a no-BS version of Windows.

Anyways, there's only two main programs I run on my car-pc; Crome, Winamp, AOL aim, and Firefox. Would Linux boot up faster? Also, will those programs run fine on Linux?

Right now the PC takes about 2-3min to completely boot up, too long for me. They need a no-BS version of Windows.

Anyways, there's only two main programs I run on my car-pc; Crome, Winamp, AOL aim, and Firefox. Would Linux boot up faster? Also, will those programs run fine on Linux?

Yes, those programs (dunno about Chrome, wtf is that?) will work fine.

Linux can boot significantly faster than windows, it depends on what you are trying to start at boot time. The fewer apps that need to start, the faster the boot.

Can you recommend a "setup" that'll work with those programs?

What do you mean? Do you want a distro? A selection of base services that you would need?

Linux would be best for a specialized application like a Car PC... but if you want to stick to Windows, you could build a static hibernation file that you use to boot every time. That way all you're doing is loading up what goes into main system memory, and that takes only a few seconds.

Back