list of suspension components...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I never was a suspension guy... soo I don't know everything that goes on with it.

Could someone give me a list of what all could be replaced/added for better performance as far as suspension goes?

I already planned on:

~new shocks - Koni Yellows
~lowering springs - GC coilovers
~(keeping stock front) but rear upper strut brace - ?
~ axles - ?
~traction bar (if this is necessary for a 13 second car) - ?
~rear sway bar (is there a front sway bar??) - ?
~LCAs -?
~Frame locks, possibly...not for sure yet.
~An LSD, probably a quaiffe setup (sort of a suspension component)

What else goes into the system that I could look into?

Also, as for the LSD, I'm thinking of the JDM ITR transmission, what LSD would fit as a replacement for the stock LSD in that transmission?

Good stuff, but I personally am investing in some threaded bodies on my next coilover purchase.

also there are lower tie rods for front and rear, and a crossmember on the steering rack in some upper models.

~ axles - ?

I'd stick with stock unless you breaking 250 to the wheels.

Will definitely help traction, and once installed and adjusted right lends to a more solid feel

Yes, there is

~LCAs -?

Why? Unless your trying to lose all possible weight, or install a sway bar in a car that doesn't come with the nescessary mounting holes. IMO they are more bling. Just get some good bushings and call it a day.

Bah, weld the joints instead, save the $250 for something you can't make for free.

Drive train, not suspension really, though it does affect handling, and power distribution

Bushings, rollcages stiffen the chassis also.

cool cool, thanks... now a little help in some good brands for everything? I know where to get the traction bar, but pretty much the rest of it i'm not too sure one what brands are good brands.

Also, what could I do in the way of engine mounts? I know it rocks back and forth when i depress the clutch... I can hear my intake tapping on the frame. :)

edit: I planned on new axles just to get an entirely new setup, however I would still like to build my B16 which will be eventually putting down more than 250 hp. I thought I'd ask so I could use this thread as a reference down the line when I can afford to get the stuff.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Sep 21 2004, 12:24 AM
I never was a suspension guy... soo I don't know everything that goes on with it.

Could someone give me a list of what all could be replaced/added for better performance as far as suspension goes?

I already planned on:

~ axles - ?
~LCAs -?

Also, as for the LSD, I'm thinking of the JDM ITR transmission, what LSD would fit as a replacement for the stock LSD in that transmission?
[post=392844]Quoted post[/post]​

i would suggest omnipower full coils- for 700 shipped, they kick some serious ass. for another 100, you can get a f&r camber kit too. they are threaded body, so the height adj is independedt from the shock travel. and they come fully assembled w/ pillow ball mounts to boot. two very big thumbs up for my omnis

i got all 4 strut braces (upper and lower, front and rear) for 70 shipped off of ebay. cant beat that.

full race, jimfab, etc all make good traction bars. i dont have any, so i cant comment on them

sway bars are a whole nuther bag of marbles, bigger is not always better, and they have very decisive effects on your handling. i havent yet figured out exactly what i want to do with them for my car, so i cant comment on them, i dont have any.

i love my quaife lsd, it definitely improves handling and power delivery. it also makes mid corner steering really heavy.

for motor mounts, i have enjos, they are VERY stiff, about as close to solid as you can get. the dash rattles a lot at idle (im missing several screws in it, so thats making it worse), however once driving they arent bad. they do help a lot with wheel hop and keeping the motor in place.

i also have energy bushings, they are a huge pain in the ass to install. im on the fence about them, they do tighten the chassis up, but the work involved, or the cost to have a shop do it, is pretty high.

I'm sticking with the Koni yellows/ GC coilover setup, but thank you for the suggestions on the other items. :thumbsup:

800 for a shock and sleeve coilover combo, or a full coilovers WITH pillowball mounts for 700.

My freind helped test the shocks at gingerman raceway, and he was extremely impressed with them. They are great coilovers for the price, and they are valved perfectly for the spring rates. Only down side is there are no adjustablity on the damper

Back