Listen to this Crazy Crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Silver_Surfer

So okay. I made a post a while back trying to figure out why the motor by roomate bought from Hmotorsonline was not living up to its potential. Well he bought the supposed JDM SiR II engine with 168 hp.

Well we took it to a mechanic and this is what we were told.

The guy first told us it was a sensor for throttle control not giving the proper voltage causing a lack of hp allowance. We were like cool, order the sensor and go to town.

well...

When the guy was calling honda looking for the sensor. He was reading off the engines numbers and this is what he was told..

The block is a 1.9L engine from a 91 Civic.

the Ecu is from a 1.9L Acura that he wasn't sure of the model at that time.

And it was non-vtec.

The valve cover is the JDM valve cover
and B16 is etched into the block.

Who is full of shit?

the idiot mech...

wtf...causing a lack of hp allowance...thats bull....my tps was off when i adjusted it i just got better throttle response no more HP.....that guy is an idiot

well when we bought the swap. the ecu was supposed to match the enigne. when it was installed, the check engline light stayed on. we were told that the idle control sensor was not able to be installed for one reason or another. this caused us to have to give it a little gas after it fired up to stay started. Well the other mechanic ran an engine diagnostic and that's what he told us. I want to say it was the IAC sensor. but i may be way off.

We will be getting a second opinion before talking to hmotors

There was never a 1.8, or 1.9 liter engine offered, or found in a 91' Civic. And in all reality, unless the exact displacement was rounded up Honda never made a 1.9 motor. Ever.

Your mechanic is full of crap. Hmotors is a pretty good source for JDM motors, and I highly doubt they were screwing you. Vtec? Check for the solenoid.

Post a picture of the engine and ECU. Some one here will tell you what you got. Did you wire the Vtec and the knock sensor when it was installed?

well then how did the mechanic know where the ECU came from?

Home boy is stupid. check your timing make sure it isnt set to full retard. 3 times now people have told me "Where is my VTEC HORSEPOWER AT?" and there distributor at the end of the mount.

It will have numbers and letters that will tell a lot but it won't spell out "This is an ECU for a JDM SIRII".
I'd would also like to see this engine. Never heard of a 1.9L.

ummmm, i want to see how this turns out. but either way, someone is either a liar or extremely dumb. and my guess wouldnt be hmotors though.

well i imagine the shop couldnt locate the sensor that we are needing, so he came up with this elaborate story. Either way i KNOW its not anything but a b16.. shit its eched on the block. I mean yea you could fake that.. but why

Quoted post[/post]]
well i imagine the shop couldnt locate the sensor that we are needing, so he came up with this elaborate story. Either way i KNOW its not anything but a b16.. shit its eched on the block. I mean yea you could fake that.. but why
to sell you a zc for $1500. but i doubt thats the case hear.

engine11nl.jpg

engine27wu.jpg

engine33kz.jpg

engine43cm.jpg

engine50ob.jpg

engine65ss.jpg

engine74ro.jpg

engine83ak.jpg

what are we looking for here? i doubt that those disconnected hoses are your dilema, but thats all i see that looks out of place.

Quoted post[/post]]
what are we looking for here? i doubt that those disconnected hoses are your dilema, but thats all i see that looks out of place.

i also noticed at the trottle body....that black little plug on the top......that is where a map sensor hose is supposed to go...now if u have a wall mounted map sensor.....make sure the hoses are connected....that would be one reason for the check engine light to come on....if your car is supposed to accept a map sensor on the throttle body....and you dont have a map sensor on the throttle body...then chances are your map sensor wires are not connected

and now that i look at those pics closely.....you dont have a map sensor on the firewall neither the throttle body.......looks like u have no map sensor on that car.......so mayb thats why ur car is acting up

well the first task at hand was to try to determine if it was the correct engine

well i see some map sensors on ebay. I see where the hose connection is to be made. Where are the wires supposed to be connected?

Step 1
Kick mechanic that thinks is a 1.9l in nuts

Step 2
Kick mechanic that did swap in nuts. (Looks Rough)

Step 3
Kick friend in nuts. (Tell him to clean the engine bay. Looks like hell.)

Step 4
Find out what code are being thrown. Research how to fix.

I agree with Mr. SI. MAP is a very important input to the PCM. Start by pulling codes, or just retrieve you flash codes. Very easy.

Back